Opening another pool, closed 2 years

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I have a pool that is new to me for maintaining. It's at a rental property I own. I'm working on getting info from the builder on gallons and such, but the equipment is the same as what I have at my home (same builder).

I'm going to start opening the pool today but I have an issue. I can't add water yet to get the water up to the skimmer because the builder is supposed to come fix some issues with the liner where it is pulled out from the bead locks in the corner. The builder said they would repair, so that's why I'm not doing it myself. They can't get to it for a few days so in the meantime, I'd like to start on the water cleanup process. The tough part is that the pool hasn't been opened in 2 years and it is covered, but with a mesh cover. I know it's going to take some time to clear. I'm planning to take the cover off tonight to assess the situation and scoop out any debris such as leaves that can't be cleaned through the filter. Pending the answer to my question below, I will see how much I can do in my current situation.

Here's my main question. If I can not put water in yet to get up to the skimmer, or above the returns, can I still turn on the pump? I would think if I closed the valve to the skimmer (only one) and just opened the floor drain, this wouldn't be an issue. Would the returns being above the water line be an issue? The only risk I see is if something clogs the floor drain.

Re: Running pump through floor drain only...

If the skimmer and floor are plumbed to the pad separately, then closing the skimmer and only using the floor should not be a problem. Just make sure there is not too much junk on the bottom that could clog the floor drain and starve the pump (which you mentioned). I also do not see why the returns being above the water level would be a problem ... other than the aeration making the pH rise possibly.

That should work, the only problem you might have is the valves to the skimmers may not seal perfectly and you may pull air. If that happens you should be able to screw in some plugs into the threaded hole in the bottom of the skimmers to seal them tightly and prevent air from being pulled in.

Well, a couple things have happened since getting started on this pool.

Took the cover off and things were a mess. Not as bad as I had anticipated, but bad enough. I could see the bottom, and it was covered with crud. As I started scooping up loads of worms with my net, visibility went to zero (and I still can't see the bottom). After I did what I could, scooping blindly, I decided it was good enough to crank up the pump. I figured out which valve went to which component and opened the floor drain, filled the pump basket with water, hit the switch and buzzzzz....nothing. Pump was dead. I called the pool guy I know and he said it was likely just siezed from sitting so long. So just to feel better about myself I poured in a 182 oz. bottle of bleach, brushed the pool and left. (Yeah I know i wasted a bottle of bleach, but it made me feel like I'd at least done something. :) )

The next day, pump is running now off of the floor drain, and I'm ready to start again. I added some bleach to get the FC levels up based on what I was told the pool size was from the builder. Next was the vacuuming. Problem is, the water is below the skimmer. I'm not sure what the difference is, but the port in the bottom of the skimmer of this pool doesn't allow the vacuum hose to "wedge" in there to make a seal, it just sits on the ring at the bottom of the threads and doesn't really hold in place. On my first attempt after filling the hose from the return (trick I learned on here) I put the hose in the skimmer port and opened the skimmer valve. The seal wasn't good enough and I could tell it was starting to suck air so I closed the valve. On the second attempt, I took my water hose, and put it in the skimmer to help suppliment any leak by and tried again. This worked well. I vacuumed for a while, mostly in the blind, backwashing quite often. After I did what I thought I could do and I stopped getting drastic pressure changes I called it good enough for now. I added more bleach assuming it had been burned off, didn't test.

Fast forward a couple of hours, since it's a rental house and I can't be there during the day or get my wife to assist at regular intervals, I tested the salt levels and added the salt for the SWG so I could use it to help me maintain my FC levels. I tested the FC. 28ppm, oops, too much bleach. I was calculating based on a full pool, which it currently isn't. Hopefully this won't cause any issues. I added CYA also to get the level to 30. The pool will be filled today. The SWG finally measured the added salt to a level high enough to get the generator going, so I cranked it up and left for the night. I'm going to have my wife go over and check the FC levels shortly and see where it's at. I'm not sure on how much FC the SWG can generate. That's where I'm at now.

Here's a pic after removing the cover before any work was done.

Attachments

• pool opening.JPG
    pool opening.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 280
  • pool opening steps.JPG
    pool opening steps.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 265
Here's an update from Saturday on what the pool is looking like now. I think it would be clearing up faster if I had known that I should have initially vacuumed to waste instead of into the filter. I've been backwashing but I think I got quite a bit of gunk in the filter. It's getting better though. Pressure is about back to normal after several backwash/rinse cycles.

Attachments

• saturday state.JPG
    saturday state.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 241
  • saturday state.JPG
    saturday state.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 241
Here's the latest update on the pool after some more vacuuming and balancing levels. This was last night with the pool light on. Sorry for the crappy picture.

Also, I have noticed that the pump has gotten quite loud over its normal level. Is there something I can check? If you'll remember, it was seized up when I first started the pool.

Attachments

• tuesday.JPG
    tuesday.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 194
  • tuesday.JPG
    tuesday.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 194
Looks like you're on the right track. Regarding the pump, mine started making a loud noise when one of the bearings went out. If you catch that early it should be an easy repair for any electric motor shop (rebuild costs around $100 around here.) I wouldn't wait too long to get it checked or you could be looking at replacing a motor.

Here's the latest from yesterday afternoon. Pool is just about ready for the overnight drop test.
The first picture is of some stains on the bottom, which I'm assuming happened when the pool sat for so long. Any ideas on getting them cleaned up or at least less noticable?

Another discovery yesterday is that there's a leak somewhere around the level of just above the bottom of skimmer. In a days time, the water will leak down to that level and stop. I'm working on getting that remedied.

Attachments

• thursday.JPG
    thursday.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 152
  • stain.JPG
    stain.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 152

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.