Is this a good deal?

Mar 18, 2012
Amarillo, Texas
My pool store is going out of business. Anyway, I was looking at their Taylor kits and they have they Taylor 2005c. It's about twice the size of the Taylor 2005. The original sticker on it was 200 but the guy said I could have it for 100. Is that a good deal? And how long do reagents last? Cause I already bought a test kit for this year. :)

Well, that is still missing the FAS-DPD which is the recommended chlorine test. I think if you keep the kit in a cool dark place most of the stuff can last at least a year or so ... even at $100 I am not sure it is a good deal if you already have a kit.

In fact, the Taylor website lists the 2005C for $118.50

From Taylor:
REAGENT SHELF LIFE

All reagents have a shelf life, whether they are liquids, powders, crystals, tablets, or test-strip pads. If kept dry, powders and crystals are very stable; acids are also long lived. Date of manufacture is not the controlling factor when it comes to shelf life—storage conditions are more important. As with all perishables, reagents are sensitive to environmental influences and will last longer under controlled conditions.

To this end, we recommend:
Storing reagents at a consistent temperature in the range of 36°–85°F (2°–29°C); extreme temperature fluctuation, say from a refrigerator to a hot car trunk, causes reagents to deteriorate.
Keeping them out of prolonged direct sunlight. (Note: their brown plastic bottles help protect very light-sensitive reagents.)
Segregating reagents from containers of treatment chemicals.
Replacing caps immediately and tightening them carefully so that exposure to air and humidity is limited.
Avoiding switching bottle caps, placing bottle caps on soiled surfaces, repouring reagents into contaminated containers, or touching test strip pads.
Taylor formulates its reagents to remain effective for at least one year, with only very few exceptions (molybdenum indicator in liquid form is one; after four months old it should be tested against a standard periodically). As a general precaution, replace all reagents more than one year old, or at the beginning of a new testing season.

I have the Taylor k2006c and it's a nice kit but if I remember correctly it wasn't even $100
The 2006c has the larger reagent bottles 2oz
The regular 2006 I think I remember had .75 oz reagent, that's why I got the 2006c, more juice :) but like I said I think it was under $100 when I got it ohh about a month ago or so?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.