Water is filled with Foam after putting algacide

ajpool

Apr 26, 2012
I am new to pool maintenance. Recently my SWG broke. For a week I did not pay much attention to the pool so my pool had black spots and green algae. so to get rid of the black algae we went to the pool shop and got black algae killer and we tried to shock the pool and kept brushing it regularly. This worked and we were able to get rid of black algae. I think shocking the pool and regular brushing it helped us remove the black algae.

Unfortunately I put algaecide from lowes (HTH) and I think i put too much of it without reading the instructions and now my pool is all foamy and its been 2 days the foam is not reducing. I got my SWG fixed and now i am wondering how do i get rid of the foamy water. I have 15K pool. I was supposed to put 6 ounces and I put 20 i think.

If I had joined this forum a couple of weeks ago I am sure I wouldn't have purchased algaecide from lowes... Now that I did i was looking for help to defoam my pool

Thanks for your time.

To add to what mpacheco72 and linen said, certain kinds of algaecide consistently produce foam, and often a bad smell as well. This typically lasts about a week. Because of this, and other issues, the only kind of algaecides we ever recommend using at polyquat based algaecides.

...unless you are doing an AA treatment on the pool.
Well, not really. You certainly can add it if you feel more comfortable but, if my pool was completely algae free prior to the commencement of the AA treatment, I would save the money and not use it.

Might be more tempted to use it in August when pool temps are way up there but it still isn't mandatory.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.