Considering purchasing a pool heater.

Jun 14, 2009
I live in Florida, I am considering the purchase of an Electric pool heater. I know they are expensive to run, my neighbor told me that his costs him 100 bucks a week to operate. Due to the location and layout of my home, solar panels are not an option. I am not planning on using the heater all the time, it will only be used on special occasions. I have a son who's birthday is in December and one in April they have never had a pool party because the water is usually too cold. The only other time I might use the heater is if we get out of town company during winter months.

What brands and or model of electric heaters should I be considering. My pool is 16*35, I think 16000 gallons "If memory serves me right". Gas is not an option it must be an electric heater.

One thing to consider is that I have a Pentair intellitouch with a Intelliflo pump, I would imagine I need to ramp up the water flow when the heater is on? Normally It runs about 40 GPM, when in use I ramp it up to 80GPM.

Thanks

I second the heat pump idea. They are cheaper to run than electric heaters..and are popular in warm climates (like FL). They take a little longer to heat your pool, but if you have set dates you need it heated, you can prepare accordingly.

Another thought is a solar cover. Not sure if you are using one, but they help retain heat pretty well! Using a solar cover while heating your pool will reduce the time you need to run your heater.

I put a heater in my pool when it was first built for the same reasons as you and also I thought I could extend the swiming season in both the fall and spring. I spent $200 dollars in gas to get it to a reasonable swimming temperature only to have a late season cold snap suck all the $200 dollars right out in one night. I have not used my heater sense.

What a shame, it is in fact kinda throwing money away "the heating part" But being able to host a pool party for my 12 year old sun this December will be so worth it!!! Now I have to research ways to keep the heat in the pool. My pool is free form and it has two steps to a sitting area, so I cannot use one of those bubble things.

I think I did really good price wise, the installer is selling me a slightly used unit "one month of use" for $3500 installed. It will be installed tomorrow, I will tell you guys weather I love it or hate it then lol. FPL now allows you to check your energy consumption almost in real time so I will be able to check two days later how much more power I am using.

redemption said:
Now I have to research ways to keep the heat in the pool. My pool is free form and it has two steps to a sitting area, so I cannot use one of those bubble things.
You can actually still use a solar cover (with the bubbles)! Those types of covers are made to be cut-to-size. You can cut them with a decent pair of household scissors.

You want to make sure to measure the length and width of your pool at the widest parts. Then get a solar cover that is slightly larger. If you spread the cover over the entire pool, put rocks or 5 gal buckets on the corners (on your decking), then make a cut following the ledge of your pool. Obviously, you can always make the cover smaller, but you can never make it bigger. For this reason, I suggest leaving a little extra - then trim it until you have a good fit!

blakej said:
You can actually still use a solar cover (with the bubbles)! Those types of covers are made to be cut-to-size. You can cut them with a decent pair of household scissors.

This is precisely what I am planning to do on my free-form pool as well. Have ordered the 12Mil 16x32 solar cover. Am planning to install it in a couple of pieces as that maybe easier to haul it back and put it on. Can post my experience with it once I get it done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.