What can be done with Paramount pool cleaner heads to remove

Re: What can be done with Paramount pool cleaner heads to re

The three long curved slots along the edge are where you are supposed to turn them. They make a special tool for removing them that you can buy; for mine I have used a 2x4 with 3 tiny nails not pounded in all the way. If you search online you buy the tool or at least see what it loos like so you can make something similar.

Melt In The Sun said:
The three long curved slots along the edge are where you are supposed to turn them. They make a special tool for removing them that you can buy; for mine I have used a 2x4 with 3 tiny nails not pounded in all the way. If you search online you buy the tool or at least see what it loos like so you can make something similar.

I inherited the $77 "Paramount Cyclean Automatic In-Floor Pool Cleaner Nozzle Tool 004652545600 tool when I got the house - but they still won't budge - even with the tool!

The three-pronged tool fits on the end of a pool pole but even with a short pool pole, I can't budge them. I tried more than one. I ended up breaking one of the tabs off the tool plastic.

Is there a trick to loosening them in the first place?

004652545400-004652545600_line_325x325.jpg

PS: Did anyone ever try this cheaper stronger $22 tool?
$(KGrHqZHJ!0E63RuD!RWBO55PRP)Gw~~60_12.JPG

You need some more torque I think...since you have the tool, that'd be the best thing to work with. If you take off that wingnut and slide out the bolt, I bet you can slide a screwdriver or something through that hole and crank it pretty good.

IMPORTANT!

If you take the heads out all at once, make sure that you write on them which hole they were in!! The jets are not all the same size and they won't work right if they are put in the wrong spots.

Melt In The Sun said:
You need some more torque I think...
OK. But I already busted the tool with torque. The plastic bends as I turn it. I can certainly give it more force (muuuch more) but I'm afraid of busting something until I know what I'm doing. Maybe they turn the other way? (I tried both but again, I'm afraid to try too hard).

BTW, I'm draining the pool as we speak because it just wouldn't clean itself. That will get me access to more of these heads, especially the ones in the deep end!

Melt In The Sun said:
make sure that you write on them which hole they were in

Good idea! Thanks for the proactive suggestion. There are about a dozen of them, so, a mixup would be confusing.

picture relocated due to captions

Not sure which way they should turn...how about calling Paramount? They should be able to tell you for sure. Reading through your sig, are you SURE that unfiltered water goes straight to the jets? That would be completely silly.

Melt In The Sun said:
are you SURE that unfiltered water goes straight to the jets?

Unfortunately (for me), I'm sure.

I don't know any other pool - so I can't say what's normal ... but it just seems crazy to me that both skimmers are unfiltered (except for the basket in the skimmers and another one at the cleaner pump).

I've confirmed that two ways:
1. One is by hooking a vacuum to the skimmer ports and watching debris go straight back into the pool (which was my first clue);
2. and the second is simply by following the pipes (the cleaner pump runs the skimmers and it clearly has absolutely no connection to the filter).

Here, for example, is a picture of the pipes at the pumps:

Does this Paramount PCC2000 cleaning system make 'any' sense to you pool experts?

Melt In The Sun said:
Not sure which way they should turn...how about calling Paramount?

Thanks for the advice.

I called Paramount in Arizona 480.893.7607. Customer Service answered. She said they turn the opposite of normal stuff.

So, at least that's one reason why I broke the tool.

But I did try both ways.

She says I should just replace both of the multi-piston cleaner heads (see picture below). Each is a few hundred bucks.

Is there a way to debug the cleaner heads? (She didn't know.)

Is there a shop manual? (She didn't know.)

Are parts available? (She didn't know.)

I've gotta be missing something simple!

I tried again and again on all the popup heads and I just can't budge ANY of them.

Even turning the opposite of normal - I've broken the tool already. It's just plastic.

Does anyone have a self-cleaning pool that can advise what (probably simple) trick I'm missing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hmmm, mine weren't this hard. Have you tried looking online for the kind of head you have? If you can find it for sale, the vendor might have a picture showing the side of the head and how it locks into the pipe. It shouldn't require tool-breaking force. Have they rotated at all for you? Mine are not threaded; they just turn 1/8 turn and then pull straight up.

Melt In The Sun said:
Mine are not threaded; they just turn 1/8 turn and then pull straight up.
Thanks for the advice!
You gave me the courate to try and try again. Finally, I got the head to pop up.

The trick was to lift UP so that the tool was just barely engaged depthwise with the pop-up head and then to turn 1/8 of a turn CLOCKWISE. It took about as much force as it takes to open up a jar of tomato sauce.

But, if the tool was set too deeply, nothing happend when twisting, no matter how hard I tried. It's a delicate balance.

SCCS said:
Could also be possible of some sand or grit between the popup and the outer shell.

Thanks for the idea!

There 'was' a lot of sand and grit - so maybe that had a friction effect. But I think the main trick was to NOT put the tool in deeply. The tool had to be just enough but no more.

BTW, I practed with the pop-up head by pressing on the bottom to make it pop up.
I noticed it seemed to have about 16 different positions as it rotated 1/16 each time it popped up.
The problem now is that I didn't mark WHERE it was positioned when I took it out.

I wonder if it matters.
Are all the pop up heads set to a particular orientation when the pool is started up ... or is it ok for them to be pointing in a random direction?

Melt In The Sun said:
Random is fine. They won't stay choreographed no matter what!

By pushing down on the pop up heads, I could see that the head rotated 360 degrees after about 16 good pushes.
If "all" of the pop-up-cleaner heads rotated the same amount on each pop up, they 'would' (I would think) stay choreographed.
However, if the amount of rotation is propertional to the force of popping up (or some other factor), then they won't stay choreographed.
So, it's probably the latter and not the former.

You're right that in a perfect world, they would stay synchronized. In reality, the heads won't pop up every time since there may be a tiny gran of sand caught in it, or someone steps on it when it's up and moves it forward a notch or two, etc.

Melt In The Sun said:
In reality, the heads won't pop up every time since there may be a tiny gran of sand caught in it

That's EXACTLY what happened to the two pop-up heads at the deep end of the pool.

These are designed to permanently stay up and to always point toward the center of the deep end where the main drain lies.
Mine were clogged with sand and grit such that they would not pop up at all!

Now that the pool is drained, and I have figured the technique to remove them, I pulled mine out today and found they were jammed with sand!
Here they are after I cleaned the sand out of them.

I talked to Chris in technical support for Paramount Pools in Tempe AZ at 602-315-5646, who explained how the filtering/cleaning system works:
He said:
- Infloors clean from the main drain.
- The cleaner pump must work at the same time as the filter pump (otherwise the dirt will just spin around).
- You can run the filter pump without the cleaner pump - but you won't get any cleaning of debris - you'll just get filtering.
- The four fixed heads on the wall at the deep end are on the filter pump and run continuously.
- Likewise, the two fixed (non-spinning) popups at the deep end are on the filter pump and run continuously.
- The two skimmers each have two ports on the bottom, one of which is connected to the cleaning system in each skimmer (which is not filtered).
- Often, one of the skimmers (the one furthest from the debris canister near the deep end) has the other bottom port blocked off.
- Often the other skimmer near the debris canister at the deep end has the second bottom port also connected to the filter system.
- You want that skimmer turned down (40%) so that most (60%) of the suction is through the main drain.
- If you have both valves open all the way, the skimmer will pull 85% and the main drain 15% which will not be efficient.
- The hole to the side of the debris canister is just an equalizer to allow water to cover the lid to seal it
- The two drains on the wall are safety drains.

To test how the skimmers are plumbed:
Turn off filter pump & turn cleaner pump on --> one port in each skimmer should be pulling
Turn off cleaner pump & turn filter pump on --> only one skimmer port should be pulling

Terminology:
- The heads are in the pool: They have to go in the same body - but they do not have to be in the same rotation position (they rotate 16 times to a circle).
- Modules and water valves are on top of the pool, and they 'must' go back the way they came (they're each different).
- There are two different modules - 4 port has tubes connecting 3 of the pistons on top - so they have to go back in EXACTLY the same way!
- One module has 6 ports all of which are used; the other has only 4 ports (because 3 of the pistons are tied together)

One test of the water valves is to look at the operating pressure on the gauges on top of each water valve:
- He says the common failure mode is a stuck piston in the water valve which will cause the heads in the pool to stay in the popped-up position.
- Each water valve on the pool deck has a psi gauge attached.
- The first valve feeds the second valve 1/2 the time so the second valve will have zero pressure 50% of the time.
- The first one should be at 22psi to 25psi (in the green zone).
- The second one should be at about 19psi to 20psi (and at 0psi 1/2 the time).
- The heads last 5 years. You open the lid and buy new innards.
- The run/pause switch on top will lock it on one set of modules (put it on pause - not very useful).

As for the mechanics of the debris canister, he said:
- The debris canister has five ports
- One of the two large horizontal ports (closest to the pool) is plugged off.
- The other ;large horizontal port (furthest from the pool) goes to the filter pump
- The one small horizontal port goes directly to the pool and is simply a pipe to allow water to equalize pressure to seal the debris canister lid
- One of the two large horizonal ports aims toward the skimmer but is actually plugged off.
- The second of the two large horizontal ports aims away from the skimmer and is the water coming from the main drain.
- Optionally, the plugged horizontal port, if it's not a) plugged (as is mine), it could go to the b) skimmer, or c) it could go to a vacuum line.

He said the vacuum procedure, if you want to do itl, is:
a) Turn filter pump off (critical step!)
b) Remove lid of the debris canister.
c) Remove the blue basket of the debris canister
d) Fill a vacuum hose with water (to prime it)
e) Hook the vacuum hose to the vertical port in the debris canister furthest from the pool
f) Note: The vertical port in the debris canister closest to the pool is plugged off
g) Turn on the filter pump
h) You should be able to vacuum (as long as you don't lose prime in the process of running back and forth)
Note: If you remove the debris canister lid without shutting the filter pump, water will suck down into the bottom and it will suck air & the pump will lose its prime.

rock - I just want to say thank you for this extremely informative post. I bought our current house with a pool similar to yours and figured I already knew most of what I needed – but your post proved me wrong:

1) I have a 12 port system: 2 x 6 ports and a 2 port to feed those two. I had a 6 port module where I should have had a 2 port – your post got me thinking and I talked to a local pool guy and he said the 6 port would work, but not very efficiently. Wow was he right! I replaced the 6 port with a 2 port and now I don’t have areas where the popups didn’t quite work (small areas where dirt seemed to accumulate – gone!).

2) Embarrassing: I was using the skimmer port to vacuum the pool. %p I didn’t know that was part of the popup cleaning system! When I was a kid, our pool’s skimmer port went to the filter. I can’t believe I was blowing dirt right back out the popups! I literally thought my filter cartridges needed replacing.

Again, thanks for the post!

By way of update, I recently removed all the pop-up heads and snaked out all the holes:
14292131745_4619f60787_c.jpg

I had forgotten, so I had to relearn the simple trick is to NOT insert the removal tool deeply onto the head.
You have to place the tool just at the tip of the top of the head, and give a 1/8th turn in the wrong direction (CW to remove) and then lift out the head with the tool.

I did follow advice in this thread to keep the heads in the same holes:
14105502670_fbaaf35c79_z.jpg

And, here's the pool itself, with the pop-up heads all removed prior to snaking:
14291612944_ff63173085_c.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.