Adding 400LB salt to new pebble

Liteguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Cave Creek, AZ
Hello,

New Pentair IC-20 salt system.

13,000 gallon pool, NEW pebble tech,

SCP counter guys said "no problem, dump in 400 LBS (10 40 lb bags of salt) will not damage new pebble.

Before I do this, need a second opinion. Don't want to wreck this new pebble if by chance this is wrong advice.

thank you in advance

Thought I read it as being best to wait awhile before adding salt for plaster .... but not sure if the same applies for pebble.

Does the pebble have to cure like plaster?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

JasonLion said:
After waiting 30 days, you can just dump the salt in. Run the pump for 24 hours after adding salt. Also, turn off the SWG (if you have one) before adding salt and for the next 24 hours.

When building a pebble pool with a SWG 6-7 years ago we came across this exact issue. We put the salt in at 30 days, and ended up having a failure of the pebble surface within 6 months. When talking to the manufacturer of the pebble we used, they did not want salt in the pool for 6 months and blamed this on the failure.

Having said this, I do not and the rep did not think this was actually the cause for the failure. However, rule of thumb for these types of questions is to ask your installer and the manufacturer what you should do. They hold your warranty in case anything were to happen. Make sure you do everything they ask for the first 12 months. This way, they have no excuse for anything that may happen.

Thank you all for your kind information and expertise. That's why we're members here, right?

Waiting an additional two weeks, in the big picture, is no big deal. Even a pool guy friend of mine said "absolutely not, wait the 4 weeks" .

What's amazing to me is the only guy that said, "go ahead and dump in the salt" was the sales guy at the SCP store. They must work off an amazing spiff system is all I can think of.

Anyway, glad I'm waiting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.