First pool test, what's next?

Apr 3, 2012
I just did my first water test this evening. My results were:
FC: 0
PH: 6.8
TA: 70
CH: 100
CYA: 80

The pool calculator recommends 108oz of bleach, 56oz of washing soda, 92oz of baking soda, 308oz of calcium chloride, and to remove 50% of the water. That is using the default target levels. I'm really not sure what I should put for the target levels. I know it needs chlorine and I'm thinking I need to shock it. I really don't want to drain any water and would rather let the CYA drop once the kids get in and start splashing water out. Should I go ahead and shock the pool now? Any suggestions on what to use for target levels in pool calculator?

sturge33 said:
I'm really not sure what I should put for the target levels.
On poolcalculator scroll down to the "suggested goal levels" and select troublefreepool.com, swg, and vinyl. You will now have suggestions in each chemical section.

sturge33 said:
know it needs chlorine and I'm thinking I need to shock it.
What does you water look like?

I would add chlorine to get to 3 ppm (75 oz of 6% bleach for your 12000 gallon pool).
I would add borax (it does not raise TA much) to raise ph up to 7.5 (99 oz by volume)
I would not move TA or CH, they look great.

Do not use any more stabilzer (or trichlor or dichlor), your cya level is perfect for a swg.

Look at this link for recommended levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

Go back to the pool calculator and tell it you're using a SWG, and that the surface is vinyl. It will give you target levels. 80 is high on CYA, but manageable, unless you need to shock, For sure you'll need to adjust pH and FC

As for shocking, that depends: is the water clear? Is there algae growing anywhere? Is the SWG on, even though you show no FC?

The water is blue but really cloudy. I don't see any signs of algae but I can't see the bottom. I've been brushing it the last few days and no algae is coming to the top, only a few leaves.

I don't have the SWG running yet. I just got it but hope to install it by the weekend at the latest. I did go ahead and add part of the salt so it would be dissolved when I get the SWG hooked up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.