Water Under Pool

May 1, 2012
Hi All,
I just started my 18X36 DIY inground project. I got the hole dug and everything was great.

The next morning I found a few inches of water in the deep end. No rain, I pumped it out, next day same issue. Seems like a few inches a day of water basically fill in the hole.

There are some springs on my property, but I do feel they are lower than the bottom of the pool.

I have read all the floating liner horror stories, and so I think the solution is an over dig with gravel. Through in a PVC with holes, and pipe that out during construction. What I'm concerened about, is if what I have is a spring, does that mean I need some sort of pump on that pipe all the time?

Thoughts?

Thanks
John

Welcome to TFP!

It is very common to run into ground water on a dig. As long as the water level is well below the proposed surface of the pool you shouldn't have any problems once you have the pool installed. During the install you need to keep the bottom dry for at least several hours, and very preferably several days. That can be done with gravel, drainage pipe, and probably a sump pump. Once the pool is installed, the weight of the water in the pool will hold everything in place even if the bottom remains wet.

Very high ground water can cause floating liner problems. As long as the ground water stays about 1 foot below the water level in the pool, the liner won't float. If you have high ground water, you should not use a steel wall panel.

Perfect. I've got a good amount of drainage around the pool, Its up on a hill so I think we should be set. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm just being paranoid as the truck gets closer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.