Boatmen bugs in my pool!!

Apr 4, 2012
Yeah...it's me again. Now that my pool is slowly beginning to clear up using the "Swamp to Oasis" method, there are now backswimmer bugs EVERYWHERE!!! What do I do? They get away from my net and...OMG...there are dozens of them! I've had a few here and there the past 2 summers, but this is just crazy!!! Kinda freaks me out. I ead that some of these critters even bite. Judging from my ankles after getting in the pool yesterday to fish something out, I believe they do bite...itchy!!! How do I get rid of these things?

Attachments

• 6a00d8357a3ce869e2015433f95f7f970c-320wi.jpg
    6a00d8357a3ce869e2015433f95f7f970c-320wi.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 208
  • backswimmer.jpg
    backswimmer.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 208
I've found 4 backswimmers so far in my pool this year.

Search the forum and you'll find plenty of discussion. In summary:
  • balance chemistry[/*:m:3oq5a0za]
  • minimize algae with chlorine & brushing[/*:m:3oq5a0za]
  • borates, copper from algaecide, or dish washing detergent may help[/*:m:3oq5a0za]

Definitely not doing the "algaecide" thing again. It royally messed things up last year. But all the other suggestions are great. They are already dying off somewhat today, and I have been able to scoop some out (when I can catch the quick critters). Trying to get rid of the algae bloom last year, I did the chemical cure, and it just made things worse. Never doing it again unless there is absolutely no other way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.