NEWBIE - Low water level, gurgling, and no water in skimmers

Sep 7, 2008
Pool was opened on Thursday. Everything has been working fine. Today I noticed that the water level in the pool had dropped, there is gurgling in the deep end and water is racing through the skimmers, but there is no water level in either of them. Ideas?

I know this sounds simplistic, but my pool expertise does not extend to the mechanicals - just got pool chemistry figured out! Thanks.

Re: NEWBIE - Low water level, gurgling, and no water in skim

After adding water you might also verify that the skimmers weirs are moving freely. They act as flaps and should open to let the water in and then float closed when the pump stops to keep debris from floating back into the pool. Sometime they stick and restrict the inflow of water.

Re: NEWBIE - Low water level, gurgling, and no water in skim

Often there will be an arrow on the skimmer somewhere. This shows what the water level should be. The pump will suck air and lose its prime if the level is far below this point. If the pumps runs dry for to long the gaskets will melt, and you will leak water.....worse case the motor will heat up to much and seize up.

Shut off the pump till you can add water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.