Rebar rusting through

exbcmc

May 1, 2012
Arcadia, Ca
We are just completing a pool re-plaster. The top coat has yet to be applied. One of the reasons we did the job, the rebar was rusting through.

What is the CORRECT way to fix this? Our guy didn't seem too concerned. We convinced him to cut away the plaster to the rebar, which he did, but merely put new over it. (I think)

Any comments? BEFORE they plaster and it is too late! :shock:

Are they not chipping out the old plaster? That's typically the way it's done, but if the existing stuff is not flaking/chipping you can put another coat over the top. Either way, it would be so easy for them to cut out the rust spots, I don't see why they wouldn't...

Melt In The Sun said:
Are they not chipping out the old plaster? That's typically the way it's done, but if the existing stuff is not flaking/chipping you can put another coat over the top. Either way, it would be so easy for them to cut out the rust spots, I don't see why they wouldn't...
yes, they chipped out the old. But I kinda thought they "fix" the rusted metal?

Well, the metal will always be there and will always be wet. The only way the rust will show through is if the plaster isn't watertight, which your new plaster should be. Still, if you want them to, I think they should be willing to cut out the problem spots. If you have an angle grinder and diamond wheel you could probably just do it yourself.

Melt In The Sun said:
Well, the metal will always be there and will always be wet. The only way the rust will show through is if the plaster isn't watertight, which your new plaster should be. Still, if you want them to, I think they should be willing to cut out the problem spots. If you have an angle grinder and diamond wheel you could probably just do it yourself.
Thank you. I like your John Wooden quote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.