DE filter and pump questions

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
I was all set to order a pentair quad 60 DE filter for my 24' AGP(yes I know its a bit much for a pool this size) I called pentair tech support with a couple questions before I made the purchase, and they are telling me that this filter is too big to use with the pump I have. My pump is a 3/4 hp Pentair Dynamo 2 speed. He said it was rated up to 75gpm and the quad was rated at 120 gpm. Said that I would not have sufficent flow for the filter. Does this sound right? I have read on here numerous times that a bigger filter was always better. Never thought that the pump would be insufficient. The FNS24 filter was suggested for me instead. Would the quad not work with a 3/4 2 speed pump?

That fillter will be fine with that pump.
Did he say what the recommended backwash flow rate was?
Even if it was a little low with that pump (I don't think it is) you could always break it down and clean it.

He didn't mention the backwash flow rate. I was planning on cleaning the filter manually and not doing backwashing. All he really said was the pump was rated up to 75gpm and the filter was 120gpm. I believe also that this thing will work fine for me but I want to make sure before I order it. I guess I could go with the FNS but would rather go quad.

I'd go with the quad. That flow rating is maximum flow through the filter. I'm not aware of any minimum flow except for backwash, which you're not doing anyway. It's just crazy what you get from supposedly knowledgeable people.

I didn't mention the backwashing to him. I was finding it a bit odd that it wouldn't work since 2-speed pumps filter on low too and thats obviously much less GPM flow in any filter. I am wanting to pull the trigger on the quad 60 now. Should I go for it guys?!

one more question about the quad 60 and my current setup.... I have 1 and 1/2 plumbing from the pool to pump and out of the pump. The quad has 2" inlets and outlets. I assume that will be ok with the proper coupler? And can I plumb pvc directly in and out of this filter WITHOUT using any kind of valve since I don't plan to use backwashing?

Took delivery today, and got her plumbed in and loaded up! Im excited about this filter, and think it will be a huge improvement with my water. So far its pumping much stronger than the sand filter did. I will post back on how it does for me over time, and thanks again for the feedback

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm with you. I know you're not supposed to be able to tell the difference, but I firmly believe that my sand filter has never done a good job.

budysr said:
only a few hours of filter time so far and my water is already clearer than its been in years! The sand filter I had just couldn't get it done

I find it interesting that people jump from sand/cartridge to DE and I am seriously considering jumping from DE to cartridge (well, when the DE filter goes bad in 5-10 years).

Is it just a case of the grass always being greener?

I just do not like messing with the DE and have read where some forum members only need to clean the cartridge 1-2 times per year if you avoid an algae bloom ... that sounds appealing to me.

I had DE. It did a good job, but the parts for the filter were expensive because it was obsolete. I thought sand would be better, no more adding DE and taking apart the filter a few times a season to clean.

It doesn't filter as well and you can tell. I have never gotten the same results with my sand that I did with my DE. Maybe my pool just has a high bather load and trees and pollen etc, but sand just hasn't done it for me.

As far as a cartridge system goes I think that I would rather go DE, backwash once every 2-3 weeks, and then remove the grids 2-3 times per season and have the best water. With a cartridge you can't even backwash, you have to pull the element every time and wash or replace. Just seems like it's only advantage is that you use less water doing the BW and the initial cost of the filter is low, but then you have to buy the cartridges.

Its been a day and a half, and I have to say that my water is clearer than I've probably ever seen. Maybe even clearer than the day I filled this thing if thats possible. My situation is maybe different than alot of people. I have a neighborhood with old oaks everywhere and there several not far from this pool. Needless to say, I have had a battle with fine dust/pollen that the sand filter has not been able to catch. Many times I figured it to be mustard algae. Putting a little DE in the sand filter was the only thing that would catch it, but the filter would clog QUICKLY and I would just have to keep backwashing. So my theroy that a DE filter would do the trick looks to be working so far.
I like sand filters, and most people I know have 'em around here, but mine didn't work out as well.
This quad filter is oversized for my pool, so I believe the filter cleaning part will not be as frequent. No worse than all the backwashing I had to do with that sand filter.

How did you like the set-up? I understand it's like having a hybrid cartridge/DE in one. I even read that you can use it like a regular cartridge? Is that correct? It's a little confusing. This is the filter I am considering going to. Where did you buy it from and how much was it?

I bought online from H2o pool products. I hope it's ok to post that on the forum. It was less than 6 bills before shipping, but the shipping from Cali to Florida was about 75 bucks. Still a good deal in the end. Yes the filter is a cartridge DE hybrid of sorts, but it does say in the manual NOT to run the pump more than 3 min.s without DE in it. I guess the cartridge benefit here is being able to open it up and manually clean without backwashing(which is how I plan to use the filter). Setup was easy for me since I plumbed directly to the filter and had the unions for my 1&1/2 PVC. If you bought the multiport for backwashing, it would still be easy to plumb. Was easy to startup with the shutoff valves open, and the flter's air pressure relief valve open. Obviously, I haven't had to open it up and clean yet, but that doesn't look to be a big deal when the time comes.
I'm very happy with this filter so far. The difference in water clarity for me is dramatic. I wonder if the sand filter I had was maybe not even working at 100% of its potential.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.