Waterflow question...

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I'm trying to figure out why my water flow seems to have slowed down quite a bit. I've noticed that the water coming out of my spa - the spa spillover - has dramatically decreased and can't figure out why that happened? I still haven't backwashed the DE filter yet (pool is still only 8 weeks or so old) - the pressure still shows to be low (in the clean section) on the gauge. I keep it the pump on the low speed 1750 (variable speed pump) for about 14 hours a day.

What do I need to do in order to get the flow to go back to where it was?
Is the problem that I need to do a backwash? If so, do I not trust the gauge?

I would backwash and see if that made a difference. I bet it will.

Those gauges are cheaply made and most of them have too big a span to be very useful. Most are 0-60 psi and most filters run lower than 30 psi. I use a 0-30 psi calibrated gauge because a few psi movement is more readable than on a 0-60 psi.

What defines the "clean section" of the gauge?

Generally we recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% of the clean pressure ... but I think this should be based on the the high speed pressure.

I would suggest turning the pump to high speed and recording the pressure. Then doing a backwash cycle (also using high speed), recharging the filter with new DE (about 80% of the full initial load), and record this clean pressure and then use this to gauge when you need to backwash.

I am thinking on low speed you may just not see the pressure rise when it gets dirty.

Report back the pressure readings and lets see if things make sense.

Are you seeing air bubbles in the pump basket or in the filter when you open the relief valve on top?

Thanks for the tips. I will do as described and follow up with my pressures.

One other dumb question that I have. Right, now I am only using the low speed. For me to increase the speed I just increase it on the remote. But, it seems to always default to the low speed - is that normal? I currently do not have any speeds on a program since it's on low for 14 straight hours. I'm assuming if I want to have 2 speeds that is when I go to the program function on the remote to schedule 1 speed for x hours and the 2 speed for x hours.

After looking at this on friday to try and fix my low flow problem - I also noticed I am having a problem with my v/s pump in general. On my remote I'm getting a code that says - faulty filter pump or something like that. It is also causing problems with my salt cell (says no flow error) and getting 2 codes 181 and 172. I called my builder and they will be coming out on Monday/Tuesday to fix. Is this something that I can fix on my own? Any suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.