Leak on the Bottom Intex 16x48" Ultra Frame Pool

misery

Apr 26, 2012
Getting Ready for the summer, I opened our pool that we purchased last mid July (Intex 16x48" Ultra Frame Pool -5,000 Gallon's)
But for the past 3 weeks, I have been fighting a battle with what we believe to be Mustard Algae in our pool water but It Turned out to be "POLLEN" with green algae

With a GREAT Help from my local pool store's employee's instructions I did everything I had to do to and
I had almost won the battle,All that had to do was to get rid of the extreme cloudiness in the water.
[center:1amoldd2]
DSC05917.jpg
[/center:1amoldd2]

BUT Now everything come to a complete STOP because Yesterday Morning,Just before I started The daily task of vacuuming, I had noticed some water around the outside of the pool, IT IS A LEAK!!! and It's somewhere in the middle of the pool and I Suspect that the vacuum head had something to do with the hole or rip.

Our Problem is HOW can we find and fix the leak in Cloudy water (you get see anything beneath the surface) with out draining the pool?????

I have read that You Can Not Drain Pool's with Vinyl Liners because the liner will shrink!!!!

Please Help! Every Bit Of Help will Be SO APPRECIATED!
Oh and after we fix the leak,can anyone tell me (help me) with what steps should i take to cleaning the pool so that I can be assured that I will not go through the cloudiness problems I went through

How big is the leak? Can you get it uncloudy before you lose all the water? You can drain Intex pools. They are seasonal pools and therefore are not quite the same as a regular liner. If you can get it clear enough to find where the leak is coming from you can patch it with water in it. If not, you might have to drain. And look at pool school to get your cloudy water undercontrol.

Thank You for responding, we have no idea how big the rip or hole is because of the cloudy water, we saw a puddle on the upside at the bottom and it looked like a tiny stream, we dug around the outside of the pool just enough to try and see where the leak could be, we thought we found it because it looked to be dripping about 6 inches in from the outside and so we tried installing a patch over it but it's still leaking so it apparent that it wasn't the main leak or there's another leak else where, we have the pool drained about more than half way and we still can not see the bottom and the water is frigid cold!

misery said:
I have read that You Can Not Drain Pool's with Vinyl Liners because the liner will shrink!!!!
You can drain your pool, as intex pools are designed to be drained and stored.

Permanent agp and igp should not be drained as their liners typically will shrink when drained and become stiff when dried.

BTW I do not have any way of getting the water clear now because of the water level that it's at right now and also because I am now afraid to use our pool vacuum because it might cut another hole in the liner
This is our vacuum that we used. :x
DSC05920.jpg

So I guess Completely draining the pool is the only choice we have now :(

Since you have already drained half, I would just drain the rest and find the leak. If you had finished clearing your pool, we would have suggested a die test to find the leak before draining.

Did you install your patch on the inside or outside of the leak? Installing on the inside is preferred since the water will tend to seal the leak while the adhesive cures. Pool stores, hardware stores, and walmart, etc. should have vinyl pool repair kits that can be used underwater.

we added the patch on the inside of the pool and I just checked the progress of the water and its more then below half way down so hopefully by tonight we can get it patched and I can get inside the pool and give it a good cleaning before starting over with the refill!

*UPDATE* There was no algae unless it was transparent! There was a little bit of brown stuff and where the clorine tablet fill into the pool there is a ugly white bleach stain with a trail from the clorine tablet being moved around. Well we drained the pool and we found to very small holes and now we got them all patched up !

NOW can someone please tell me what is the exact measurements and what chemicals I should add to the pool water? I do not want to go through this mess again because of the $$$ we had to put into the pool with in the last 3 weeks meant as far as the chemicals go

I have a 1 gallon of algaecide and 1 gallon of Liquid Shock (Austins Brand?) that I bought at Ollies Discount Store (it's Big A Buy Out Store) for $3.99 Each

now Should or could I use these? and How Much?
How Much PH?
How much Clorine? I have 3 inch tablet and 1 inch tablets
Clarifier?

my pool is a intex 16 x 48in ultra frame, with approx 5 gallons water

mpacheco72 said:
I'm surprised that your vacuum would cause that hole. I guess stranger things have happened.

Believe it or not but we found to tiny pin holes and just to make sure that it was the vac head or not that put the holes on the bottom of the liner we brought the vac head into the pol and it did indeed line up with the holes and after investigating more into it, we spun the wheels around and found out that two of the wheels had chip marks just along the inside edge of each wheel and it looked to be a manufacturer error but we know there is nothing we ound do about it and so we just filed them down slightly with a dremel and we are hoping that it will fix the problem and no other holes appear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to read up in pool school...........button on top right hand corner of page. Go to the temporary seasonal pool section first and read, read, read! There is a wealth of information that will help answer all of your questions. I am sure that some that are more knowledgeable than myself can speak about the specific brands of chemicals that you have on hand..whether or not to use those products. But TFP teaches all about the BBB method and it works like a charm! :)

Coastal Carolina said:
You need to read up in pool school...........button on top right hand corner of page. Go to the temporary seasonal pool section first and read, read, read! There is a wealth of information that will help answer all of your questions. I am sure that some that are more knowledgeable than myself can speak about the specific brands of chemicals that you have on hand..whether or not to use those products. But TFP teaches all about the BBB method and it works like a charm! :)

thank You1 I was in that section earlier but I wasn't sure what area i should read exactly but Now I do because of your kindness! THANK YOU VM!

@misery

You do not need to drain the pool. It is the chemicals you are using. I know! I fought this in 2010. What you need to do, is go to your local Pool Place (no Wal-Mart) and buy a bag of clean shock. You do not need to by the liquid kind that is $20-30 a gallon. Clean Shock comes in a bag and usually is next to the other various shocks. Then go to a hardware store and buy a gallon of Muriatic Acid. Acid is usually $2-4 dollars.

You have the same pool as I do. So yours is rated just a few gallons under 6,000 gallons. Take the Muriatic Acid and poor 11oz in to your pool (with filter running). Mix for 2 hours. Then put the full bag of clean shock in to your pool. DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS SWIM IN THE POOL WHILE THE AVID IS DIRECTLY IN THE POOL AND WHEN THE SHOCK IS IN IT. Skin burning may and will accure! Wait another 4 hours. The pool will be clear!

The reason your pool is cloudy is because your pH level is way too high! The muriatic acid will lower your pH levels and the shock will clean and clear up the pool.

When you get the water clear, it is best to continue to use the Clean Shock every week, but at 1/2 the bag strength. So one bag will last 2 weeks. The acid should ONLY be used if you notice a huge spike in your pH! Do not use it regularly, again only if your test shows your pH is insanely high, which causes the clouding.

Hope this helps!

@ misery

Make sure you read the link that coastal posted: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide If you have questions, post them here and we will be glad to help. Also, posts whatever test results you get, when you get them.

@kajon160

Welcome to tfp :wave:

I know you are trying to help, but any advice that you or I could give is premature since neither of us have seen the test levels of misery's new water. There are likely many differences between your pool and misery's pool chemistry, that any advice based off of your pool chemistry readings will likely be wrong for misery's pool. Simple pool care really starts with knowing your pool chemistry and then acting on that information. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry[url]

kajun160 said:
@misery

You do not need to drain the pool. It is the chemicals you are using. I know! I fought this in 2010. What you need to do, is go to your local Pool Place (no Wal-Mart) and buy a bag of clean shock. You do not need to by the liquid kind that is $20-30 a gallon. Clean Shock comes in a bag and usually is next to the other various shocks. Then go to a hardware store and buy a gallon of Muriatic Acid. Acid is usually $2-4 dollars.

You have the same pool as I do. So yours is rated just a few gallons under 6,000 gallons. Take the Muriatic Acid and poor 11oz in to your pool (with filter running). Mix for 2 hours. Then put the full bag of clean shock in to your pool. DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS SWIM IN THE POOL WHILE THE AVID IS DIRECTLY IN THE POOL AND WHEN THE SHOCK IS IN IT. Skin burning may and will accure! Wait another 4 hours. The pool will be clear!

The reason your pool is cloudy is because your pH level is way too high! The muriatic acid will lower your pH levels and the shock will clean and clear up the pool.

When you get the water clear, it is best to continue to use the Clean Shock every week, but at 1/2 the bag strength. So one bag will last 2 weeks. The acid should ONLY be used if you notice a huge spike in your pH! Do not use it regularly, again only if your test shows your pH is insanely high, which causes the clouding.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your information and I will make a copy of it and save it just in case in the future it happens again note we did bring water samples to our local pool store and they said that everything was perfect but reguardless, We did still have to drain the pool because there was pin holes that was on the bottom of the liner

linen said:
@ misery

Make sure you read the link that coastal posted: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide If you have questions, post them here and we will be glad to help. Also, posts whatever test results you get, when you get them.

@kajon160

Welcome to tfp :wave:

I know you are trying to help, but any advice that you or I could give is premature since neither of us have seen the test levels of misery's new water. There are likely many differences between your pool and misery's pool chemistry, that any advice based off of your pool chemistry readings will likely be wrong for misery's pool. Simple pool care really starts with knowing your pool chemistry and then acting on that information. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool...h the water is very cold ..the kids are in it

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 450
  • pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 448
misery said:
kajun160 said:
@misery

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your information and I will make a copy of it and save it just in case in the future it happens again note we did bring water samples to our local pool store and they said that everything was perfect but reguardless, We did still have to drain the pool because there was pin holes that was on the bottom of the liner
Just to be clear, what kajun160 is suggesting will most likely be not right for your pool, so I would not follow it.

I have a 16' x 48" and when my water started to get cloudy..I poured a gallon of bleach, ran my pump for 12 hours and my swg for 4 hrs..cleared it right up. I don't like putting too many chemicals in my pool, so far so good...keep it simple if you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.