Oh my god Sink and Sweep! Cloudy water

mtva24

Mar 19, 2012
My water has been cloudy as fugg. I bought a foreclosure last May. I went to the pool store and they sold us about $300 worth of Baquacrap. Lets just say the pool was never where we wanted to be. This spring comes (round 2). I stumbled upon this forum and heard raves of the BBB method. I have probably spent a good $120 on bleach so far, my pool has cleared up, but it is still cloudy. Went to target bought a bottle of Aquachem Sink and Sweep, but i just left it in my garage for the next 3 weeks. Finally yesterday, after weeks perfect test scores, of the filter running, backwash after backwash, borax after borax, bleach bottle after bleach, shock, chlorine tabs & clarifier, I decided that I exhausted all options and broke down. Applied this through skimmer, w/o basket for 10 minutes, returned basket to skimmer and recirculated another 2 hours, then cut off filter for 24 hours. Am I on to something here?

Before

SAM_0804.jpg

After

SAM_0837.jpg

Am I on to something here?
No, not really. Everything we do here begins with accurate test results and then we can suggest a path for you to take. Once that starts, you should read all the articles in Pool School and you will begin to get a foothold on what's wrong with your pool and, importantly, the right thing to do about it

I opened to the worst black swamp ever this year. It was so murky I couldn't see past the surface. With the help of these guys, the proper test kit, and following the BBB my pool is in better shape than it has been in the past three years. I know it's easy to run to the pool store and them tell you to buy x, y, z but most of them don't understand the BBB method and their advice conflicts with what you'll learn here.

Have you read "Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine" in Pool School?
Also, make sure to get the organics (sticks, leaves....) out of the pool.
"after weeks perfect test scores" What were they and how did you measure them?
Did you change out your filter media? (by the way what is your equipment?)

mcoonan said:
Have you read "Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine" in Pool School?
Also, make sure to get the organics (sticks, leaves....) out of the pool.
"after weeks perfect test scores" What were they and how did you measure them?
Did you change out your filter media? (by the way what is your equipment?)

Yeah I think more of the problem is with vacuum and filtering than bbb...yesterday i opened up the pump basket and it was filled w/ twigs. The pool came with a basic haywood sand filter....I've been using a brush/vacuum head I found at walmart...I do have a weighted vacuum head coming in the mail. My filter sucks though, Ithink that's the problem.

Like Dave said above, proper maintenance and balanced water chemistry is dependent on accurate testing. Do you have your own test kit? If not, I suggest the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. This will cost a fraction of what you have already spent on chemicals, and save you LOTS of time and money in the long run!

blakej said:
Like Dave said above, proper maintenance and balanced water chemistry is dependent on accurate testing. Do you have your own test kit? If not, I suggest the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. This will cost a fraction of what you have already spent on chemicals, and save you LOTS of time and money in the long run!

In have a ta fc cc ph liquid drop kit I bought off ebay...and 2 kinds of test strips...like Isaid before, I'm thinking the maintenance is a bigger factor than the testing

That's great to hear you have a test kit! What are you current levels?

Also, have you gotten a chance to check out Pool School and the Pool Calculator? (links in my signature box)

updated photos...ordered a taylor k-2005 from ebay, it's on it's way. Did the sink and sweep and vacuum process a good three times. My test strips had Hardness at 100, so I ordered some increaser. Dumped in 4 182 oz bottles of bleach yesterday just for fun. PH was 7.8 w/ my liquid test kit, but 7.2 with test strips :? Alkalinity is around 100. These pictures are with the filter running of course, ill cut the filter off and post more pics tomm.

SAM_0842.jpg

SAM_0841.jpg

SAM_0840.jpg

Hi, someone asked earlier if you changed the sand in your filter after the baquacil conversion. If you have not you really need to do this. Stuff getting past the filter is a sign of channeling, meaning the sand has compacted to the point it is hardened and the water is cutting channels into the sand that allows some debris to pass through the filter back into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
zea3 said:
Hi, someone asked earlier if you changed the sand in your filter after the baquacil conversion. If you have not you really need to do this. Stuff getting past the filter is a sign of channeling, meaning the sand has compacted to the point it is hardened and the water is cutting channels into the sand that allows some debris to pass through the filter back into the pool.

Thank you for your suggestion. I haven't gotten around to changing the filter sand, maybe i will do that next payday. I hear I should change the laterals as well?

Unfortunately the k-2005 test kit does not have the all important FAS-DPD chlorine test ... which is why we recommend the k-2006 or the TF100.

Fortunately you can add just that test to give you a full kit. Tftestkits.net sells it and you may get it from Dave faster than your kit from ebay.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Update

Received my Taylor k-2005...Test results from Sat 2 hours after i poured a bag of shock (Cal-hypo)

TC - 5+
FC - 5+
CC - 0??
TA - 110
CH - 190
PH - 7.4
CYA - a little under 30

I ordered the FAS/DPD test, as well as 3 bags of sand last night.

That's why you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can't test past 5. Looks like you are on your way to doing good. Being in AZ, you probably need to have your CYA around 40 at a minimum if the pool gets a lot of sun. For now you can keep using that floater and trichlor tabs, but keep an eye on the CYA, shoot for 40 as a goal for now, and don't let it get over 50!

RobbieH said:
That's why you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can't test past 5. Looks like you are on your way to doing good. Being in AZ, you probably need to have your CYA around 40 at a minimum if the pool gets a lot of sun. For now you can keep using that floater and trichlor tabs, but keep an eye on the CYA, shoot for 40 as a goal for now, and don't let it get over 50!

Oh i'm in Virginia not AZ, unless you were abbreviating something else :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.