? Outdoor Toilet ?

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
Soooooooo I can already tell it's going to get annoying running back and forth to the house for a potty break. I'll go ahead and assume most will just pee in the pool. I fenced in the pool equipment with an 8' privacy fence (matches the main fence) I also made it much larger for storage of pool toys/rafts/chems etc. There is enough room to stick a real toilet in there, and the main drain leaving the house is right around the side of the house about 30' and as luck would have it only about 6" deep. The septic tank is right there as well.

I wonder what people would think about using an outdoor toilet? Redneck? Great use of space?

Guess I'd have to shut it down for the winter, vacuum the water out of it, or plunge/blow it out. Put a cover over it to keep animals out.

Another issue is that there will be grass between the pool room and pool, so you may get grassy feet....

Thoughts?

Not the best picture, fence is done now with a curve cut between posts, the space that is fenced in is 20' by 9'.

I need to pull some strings to see where the elevation of the toilet would need to be, and see how much work that creates.

IMG_2139.jpg

XsAllOverIt said:
I've got an RV toilet in an enclosure next to my pool house. It works great... Clean it up for winter and store it downstairs...

What is the benefit of an RV Toilet? It's still plumbed into your sewer/septic correct? Is that the type with the lid at the bottom of the toilet that opens when you flush?

The wife loves the idea.
IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

I'm thinking toilet would have to go right where the cement is stacked, need to measure one and see, didn't get a chance for that last night. Then a small sink would go next to it closer to the house.

the stake next to the foundation marks the location of the main drain exiting our house.
IMG_2178.jpg

You can't see the string I pulled, but allowing for 1/4" fall per foot I've got the necessary change in elevation to install the toilet nearly on the ground in the encloure, maybe a inch or 2 higher which is great!

This is the rest of the space in the enclosed pool equipment area, going to put some concrete beyond the pool pipes and put some storage there.

IMG_2171.jpg

XsAllOverIt said:
It's all self-contained. Reservoir for water for flushing and another reservoir for waste. When full, you simply remove the reservoir and it's pretty contained and flush it down your normal toilet. During a party it gets full otherwise use is minimal.
Would the waste clog up the existing toilet when you flush? Is it a urine only toilet? I think it is a good idea but if someone has to Crud, I think I would make them go inside. Where do you buy a RV toilet? Online? Lowes? RV store?

Here is a picture of the toilet. It is a high-end toilet and there are many that are much less costly that have manual pumps. This pump runs off of a 12 volt power supply that was additional. It didn't have sides since it normally slides into an RV enclosure in the bathroom. I bought it an an RV facility where they sell RV's and have a large supply store.

Attachments

• lPhaseV-Day361-Picture01.jpg
    lPhaseV-Day361-Picture01.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 491
Here is a picture of my entrance. I've also got a shower and sink. Both are plumbed into a water supply coming from the house and both drain into a buried perforated 55 gallon trash can completely filled with drain stone. It seems to work great for the small amount of traffic it takes. Nothing like having an outside shower especially since I'm still building around the pool. I've got a separate hot water heater in the pool house adjacent to this picture.

Attachments

• lPhaseV-Day376-Picture01.jpg
    lPhaseV-Day376-Picture01.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 471
Since you are so close to the house, where is your drain to the sewer or septic? Could you potentially tie into it by going through the house. Then you could install a real toilet. Not possible for my situation since my septic is easily 100 feet away and ran enough stuff from the house. The entire motivation of having a toilet outside was to avoid wet traffic through the house during parties.

XsAllOverIt said:
Since you are so close to the house, where is your drain to the sewer or septic? Could you potentially tie into it by going through the house. Then you could install a real toilet. Not possible for my situation since my septic is easily 100 feet away and ran enough stuff from the house. The entire motivation of having a toilet outside was to avoid wet traffic through the house during parties.

Was this directed to me? If so that is exactly what I'm proposing, except I bury the 4" line from toilet to septic vs. sticking it through the side of the house and tying into the plumbing in there. I would prefer a real toilet

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
XsAllOverIt said:
Yes, that would be optimal. You'll also have to run water to the toilet. Wish I could have done that.

Yup both hot and cold (for the sink and shower) wife has not approved shower yet (i'm still pondering design). I made an outdoor shower a few years ago on the other side of the house. I used copper pipe and and ball valves, I won't be doing that again, looks terrible, but functional. The other thing I learned is that I'd better blow the lines out good and I want a larger opening to drain the lines with vs. the little pin hole on the ball valves.

CIMG7361.jpg

CIMG7359.jpg

In those pictures you notice those are not ball valves, but after the first year when water froze in the lines (how i learned my lessons) the replacement valves were ball valves.....you also notice the paint job on the house, when we moved in and i removed a bunch of plants along that side of the house I discovered they were not painting behind them as the grew....

Cold water is already at that corner of the house (outdoor spigot), Hot water is just a few feet away on the inside.

Tonight i'm gonna measure it all out and make sure their is enough room for the toilet to sit where it would be easiest to install.

If my memory is correct sewer plumbing needs to fall 1/8" for every foot of run. Make sure that you can fit all the pipe fittings and toilet at a height that will result in a positive flow from the toilet. You indicated that the main pipe was 30 feet from the proposed toilet. That is roughly a 4" rise which would put your sewer pipe only 2 inches below ground. This does not leave much room for a elbow and toilet flange. Depending on your yard this may not matter but is something to consider.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.