Why the multiport valve hate?

May 9, 2009
California
I recently had my pump and filter replaced. I did not want to do the installation myself so I contacted four different places to give me a quote. Once of my requirements was a multiport valve that allowed vacuuming straight to waste. Three of the four contractors expressed various levels of disdain for multiport valves, citing supposed unreliability and/or difficulty to maintain. One even refused to sell or install one. I went with Leslie's of all places, because not only were they slightly cheaper than the next cheapest, they were the only place that didn't ***** and moan about the prospect of selling me a multiport valve.

The tap water here is loaded with particulate which gets released as a nasty yellow sludge as soon as the Ph is lowered and I also get a bit of wind blown dirt on the pool from time to time. With my previous equipment I was having to backwash almost weekly after vacuuming the bottom of the pool. Being able to vaccum to waste has been a godsend. I previously had one of those pull valves that you pull up and down, which gave me nothing but trouble during the two years I used it.

I don't understand the hate on mutiport valves. If it hing lasts only one year it would be worth it to me over that horrible pull valve I had before. I'll just buy a new on and install it myself, as they are around $100 online.

Is this hatred for mutiport valves among contractors common? Is it justified?

So far, I love the thing!

Never heard of the hate ... other than from someone on here hating the push-pull as far a maintenance.

There is really nothing to go wrong on the mulit-port other than a spider gasket every once and awhile and they sure are more convenient in a lot of cases.

I too wonder why you got the reaction you did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.