Mike in CA

Aug 18, 2011
Arizona
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am a forum reader, this is my first post.

I just had my inground pool remodeled with new PebbleSheen, tile coping and drain.

My question is about the pool cleaner, here is my situation.

before the remodel I bought a Kreepy Krawly (cheap and easy) and used it to do light pool cleaning. I do get medium sized leaves in the pool and it would not touch those so I had to remove them. It would also get clogged once in awhile maybe due to the Oak leave or acorn.

So now my dilemma, with the new pool I have a choice to have a dedicated suction or pressure line (I am not interested in a booster pump). So which way do I go.

My PB wants me to get a Kreepy Krawly Legend II to work off my main pump with dedicated pressure line. I am told by a friend that runs a pool cleaning business I should get a robot (TigerShark) that will take care of leaves and all and brush the PebbleSheen finish to avoid algae.

My priorities in order are
1. energy efficiency (I just put in solar electric and an intelliflow pump)
2. get the pool clean, including leaves
3. ongoing maintenance costs
4. price

I appreciate suggestions and your reasons why you like what you suggest

My pool is a geometric shape (kinda like a diamond) and 16x35 with a 6ft deep end.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

Well, a robot will work without you having to run the pump at all or you can just leave it on a low setting. With a suction or pressure side cleaner you will need to ramp the speed of the pump up to make them adequately work which will cost you more electricity.

There is a little hassle with having to pull the robot out of the pool and clean its filter, but all the dirt does not go into your main filter.

All cleaners/robots may break down and the robots are probably more expensive to fix (along with also costing much more up front).

Thanks Jason.

I am leaning towards the Kreepy Krauly Legend II as a pressure side cleaner. This is my PB suggestion and it seems to get as good of reviews as most of the others.

It does not need a booster pump so I figure I would run the pump on a higher setting for 1-3 hours to clean the pool, and then drop it down to a lower setting to finish the circulation and filtering.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Mike

BTW I use the BBB method that I found on this forum and have had great results!

I am in love with my new Aquabot Turbo T4 RC. I have been using a pressure cleaner since 2007. When my pump died, I decided on giving a Robot a try. Boy I am glad I did... in fact I wish I would have from the beginning. The Aquabot Turbo T4 cleans 100% better than my pressure cleaner. I removes way more sand and dirt that I don't even see. Scrubs like no brush can... And the motor this thing has is pure power...

I have two Pecan trees (don't ask...they are my wife's favorites) hanging over my pool. The Aquabot handles it with ease. The only con I see so far is it's so darn complex but it might not be if I would just read the dang manual! I just drop it in the pool and plug it it and turn it on. I have been using the default settings which seems to work awesome. I only deploy it when the bottom gets to a point which I can't stand it any longer. Within an hour the pool is clean. I pull it out, clean the filter and store it. No more running the 3/4hp pump for 4 to 12 hours a day!!!!!!!! I am already seeing cost savings on my electric Smart meter! I watch my electricity on a daily/weekly basis. Another con is that I still think that I need to let it run for hours but I am coming around! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.