Opening Time?

Been tossing it around too, Shaun. I'm in Ohio, and it looks like the temps are going to be consistently higher for the next couple weeks. I actually opened mine several weeks ago, and had to do a partial drain to reduce my cya. It's now crystal clear and well balanced, and I'm wondering if it's time to turn on the heater. Last night the water temp was still 56 degrees!

About 30 miles west of Pittsburgh here.....had the pool open for about 3 weeks now. :D Only a few feet have hit the water...but it's got the solar cover on it and is crystal clear ready for swimmers when the weather is. :D

XsAllOverIt said:
Opened over a month ago to avoid any green stuff here in North Central MD.

Do you open yourself, or have someone do it for you? I opened myself for the first time. Water was clear, and shill had a decent amount of chlorine in it. The rest of the chems were off a little, and I will fix that tonight.

I open and close by myself. I had a falling out with my PB and I read a lot. Closing was a breeze and my pipes are under 6 feet of ground and come up in a pool house that hasn't yet gone below freezing, but I still do the standard closing. This past winter though wasn't a good test. It was very mild, but when I unplugged all my lines, they were obviously empty when all the water gushed back in them. Opening is a breeze - take the cover off and clean. I place my cleaner in my pool periodically during the winter to clean it to avoid too much of a mess by spring. My biggest issue is 5 maple trees within distance of the pool. The Crud that comes off of them is UNBELIEVABLE and I got an estimate to get rid of all 5 for $15K. I can probably deal with 4 of them, but I'll have to pay someone for the 1 which is in range of my pool and poolhouse. Still picking up helicopters all OVER the place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NJ here. Just peeled a corner of cover and took temp and water sample. Water is nice and clean and no worms--I guess due to dry Spring. Temp is 51°F and chems look good--FC still at 1.0. I'll open it up this weekend before it heats up enough to grow algae. I don't touch the pool all winter except for checking the cover pump.

Upper Bucks County, PA, here, opened a couple of weeks ago. Would rather have the rain in the pool than on the cover. Ended up with a lot of debris from the cover in the water, but, cleaning, etc. and it's getting there. Water is 58 to 60°. For some reason, CYA and -B4O7 disappear over winter, so, I have to add it in again.

Thanks everyone. Opened it Monday night and found out the closers (last time I think I pay someone) didn't get all the water out of a section of pipe because had some major cracking. Fixed that and turned the pump on yesterday afternoon. I know you all like pics, so here is the transformation from day 1 to day 2 (20 hour interval) with $40 of bleach. And yes, I realize the opening is VERY ugly. Again, last time I probably pay someone to close the pool...

[attachment=1:qx7dn14o]Before.jpg[/attachment:qx7dn14o]

[attachment=0:qx7dn14o]After.jpg[/attachment:qx7dn14o]

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 132
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 132
Metro Detroit here.... Thought about opening it today (May 3rd) but they are predicting scattered storms for the next few days, and all the whirlybirds from the maple trees are still flying around. As much as I hate to I should wait for a few days... Just ordered refill chemicals from TFTestkits.com so it won't hurt to wait.

BTW... Wife actually wanted me to open in back in March when it was in the 80's.... ???

Here in Ohio, we're anticipating a warm week and weekend, so I turned the heater on yesterday morning. The water temp is now 87 degrees, and we've been swimming for several hours. I know it's going to cool back down, but at least we can enjoy it for several days! :-D [attachment=0:3kbv3u0r]0503121516.jpg[/attachment:3kbv3u0r]

Attachments

• 0503121516.jpg
    0503121516.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 105
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.