Review of Hobert Pools- Dallas, TX

TresW

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 26, 2008
Forney, TX
http://www.hobertpools.com/

With final yard grading a few days ago, our pool project is finally complete!! Hobert Pools in Dallas was our pool builder, they've been around since 1975 and have an excellent reputation in the DFW area. I must say, they were really fantastic to work with and I give them my highest recommendation! With any construction project you can expect to have a few problems along the way and the real litmus test for the quality of a contractor is how they respond to problems. Hobert really shines when it comes to this. When we had concerns they took them seriously and were quick to address them. They also followed up to make sure we were satisfied. One example is the stone waterfall, we were not happy with the appearance of it when it was completed as it didn't look "natural" to us. They immediately sent the stone guys back out to place additional stones and it made a world of difference!

Also we should have done more research before jumping into a contract as we were real pool neophytes going into this. Thankfully as we've learned more about pools and pool equipment, it turns out that everything Hobert uses on their projects is of the highest quality. The construction was also top-notch, most of their subs have been with them for many years. In fact the superintendent told us that the plumbing sub is a grandfather/ father/ son team and all have worked for Hobert nearly their entire working careers! I'm an architect and have been heavily involved in construction administration for over 20 years. I checked the pool out closely after each step of construction and did not see a single problem. After reading many of the horror stories here and on other forums, I would have to say that I would rather pay extra to ensure I would not have those nightmares rather than go with a lower bid with an unproven builder. That's not to say we paid a premium with Hobert, in fact the price was quite competitive.

Another nice feature is Hobert keeps your schedule posted on their website so you can log in and check the status any time to see when the next sub is due out. They stuck to the projected dates except in case of weather delays (which were numerous due to our winter build!) It was convenient to be able to jump online to see what was coming up in the next week.

Below is a picture of our pool, we look forward to many years of enjoyment!! We still need to do landscaping and add some more furniture, but it's a great place to hang out even without those being complete yet. Many thanks to the Hobert team for helping us with our backyard oasis :-D

PS- this is not a paid ad, I just feel that as often as we all (me included) like to gripe when things go wrong we should also take the time to tell others when things go right too :)

Attachments

• 48-pool.jpg
    48-pool.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 568
TresW... that pool looks great and thanks for the review of your pool builder. It seems the forum doesn't get much of the positive pool builders/contractors. Having that website to check on your build is fantastic. I hope your pool brings at least half the memory's my pool has brought my family.
thanks again and welcome :-D
Ric W.

TresW,

That's a nice testimonial to a real pro builder. I agree that we sometimes hear only the bad and not enough good about folks in the profession. That's pretty easy to figure as folks with ZERO problems may not have the need to read or post on this forum.

I'm sure your PB will get an opportunity for some additional business at least partly due to your post and it sure sounds like they deserve it.

Thanks all!! I'll post more pictures once we get the landscaping in and the grass greens up. I posted a long thread over on Garden Web of the entire build process, then found these forums later through a link someone posted. These forums have been very helpful in getting things up and running... and in keeping things balanced!

Dave, are you the seller of the TF100 kits (saw you have the link in your sig) I bought one after doing some reading here and it's been fantastic! That's definitely a small investment every pool newbie should make!

Hobert pools built my now 14 year old pool.

It's actually been quite resilient considering the abuse it was under the last 2 years while the house was vacant.

Im just now replacing all teold equipment with new stuff.

We just completed a build with Hobert Pools of Dallas.

All together the build was good and the end result is a very nice pool.

We did have some bumps during our build unfortunately. So much happened in 2 weeks and then it seemed that nothing happend for the next 3. We did get a bunch of rain in that time frame so they were backed up. But, during that time they also had 2 failed plumbing pressure tests. I can see one, but two is just not right. They thought initially that the issue was a problem with the chlorinator, they sent someone out to do something with it, but whoever they sent obviously failed to check if the system could hold pressure. Second time that it failed they thought that possibly a decking stake hit a pipe. They went out to find the leak and it turns out it was a pipe from the skimmer. During the construction process, pvc pipes are sticking up from the skimmers.

Along the whole build process, I mentioned issues several times to the superintendant I had with coping and rockwork and all he would say is "I'll take a look at it" and nothing happening. They assured me that the coping and rockwork would be fixed. We were probably over anxious to get the pool plastered and filled that we continued on with the process. This part of it is definitely our fault, I should have demanded they fix before making my last payment to get the pool plastered.

Fast forward to 1 week after fill, pool startup and pool school, they decide to "fix" the coping issue I had with 1 piece of flagstone coping that was a low spot and created a puddle of water in it, waterfall issues(leaking on back side and flow of water favoring 1 side, 1 rock on our moss rock wall that was completely cracked and finishing out our retaining wall.

I had spent hours each day and night brushing the plaster and balancing the water. I come home the day of the "fix" and the pool floor is completely brown from dirt and dust and trash from the work done. No attempt at a clean up, no note about the dirt etc. nothing. And to top it all off, the "fix" of the piece of coping was to cut the same piece in half and put it back down. The coping piece was 1/2" higher than the decking, when does common sense come into play with these workers??? Also, the mortar they used on the waterfall "fix" did not match the grout used initially. It was a reddish color when all of the rest of it was brown.

I sent a fuming email to the Construction Manager that night telling him I expect him to call me in the morning to discuss my issues. Next day, noon rolls around and still no call. I finally call him at 1pm and he picks right up and I lay into him about the shoddy work that is done. He gets with the subcontractor(all subs are either owned or operated by family of Hobert), and 2 days later come out for "fix" round 2. On that same day I have sprinklers being installed so I am home and am able to see what is happening for the first time. The coping guy is at the house replacing the coping, retaining wall and the rock and I am out watching him work and approving what he is doing.

We are still waiting for mastic to be put in from "fix" number 2 on the coping a week after it was done. I had to call them as they did not follow through to see it wasn't done yet. A complete lack of follow through on several levels of the management.

Unfortunately because of what happened at the end of our build I do have a sour taste in my mouth about it all. I have been tempted to write a note to Hobert Murphry, but I think it will fall on deaf ears and tossed aside.

We have referred friends to Hobert and one is nearing completion of his build and is having some frustrations now aswell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.