So, we're a week in...

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
Well...more like 8-9 days, but who's counting? :)

Pool finished filling on Sat, 4/21. Spent the first half of the week getting things into the ball park with test strips and BBB. (Well..just B actually...no .BB was needed).

TF Test kit arrived Thursday (and man is that thing AWESOME).

Weather warmed up nicely for the weekend. Got enough done on the deck by yesterday afternoon that we could jump in, and jump in we did!

After adding about an inch of water this morning, and giving that time to mix around, did a complete round of tests. Here's the results, and a bit of commentary. :)

pH = 8 : Going to chalk this one up to the massive amounts of splashing yesterday from 3 kids and one big fat man jumping off the new deck...repeatedly. :lol: Tossed in 26oz of Dry Acid this morning. it's been running between 7.6-7.8 all week, with tendency to climb a bit over a few days, but nothing unmanageable.

FC = 2.5 : No worries. Been keeping it around 5, had lots of bathers and sunlight yesterday. Quite happy with this number. Poured in 67 oz of 6% this morning.

CC = 0 : :goodjob:

TA = 150 : Neither concerned nor surprised by this. We have fairly high TA tap water around here (fabulous for most aquariums *heh*) and we don't typically see too many problems associated with it in other areas (washing, pond, aquariums, etc). It probably goes a ways in explaining the "pH creep" mentioned above, but nothing that can't be handled with due attention. Eventually, I suppose, it'll come down over the months, as I keep bringing the pH back in line.

CH = 190 : :goodjob:

CYA : 40 :goodjob:

================

So there you go. Not really any questions or anything (though I sure won't turn down any enlightened commentary from the experts *heh*), as I feel comfortable with those numbers and the reasons behind them.

I suppose I just felt like sharing. :)

You are doing just fine! There isn't anything I can think of to add. Having TA a little high is usually fine in an above ground pool. As long as your PH doesn't drift too much you don't need to worry about it.

JasonLion said:
You are doing just fine! There isn't anything I can think of to add. Having TA a little high is usually fine in an above ground pool. As long as your PH doesn't drift too much you don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the thumbs up, JL :)

And thanks for confirming my thoughts on the TA. Comforting to think i'm not missing something. :lol:

Butterfly said:
The only thing I see missing is a pic of the pool! :-D

We've been busy working to extend the existing deck out to the pool. Today the son and I set some posts, and gathered more lumber...after which he celebrated with a well deserved swim!

pooljump-vi.jpg

As you can see, we've managed to get JUST enough of the deck extension done to allow jumping...which was promptly put into service. :goodjob:

The ears belong to 1 of our 5 dogs. 4 dachshunds, 1 German Shepherd...you get to guess which one that is. :lol:

Please ignore the horribly unsafe ladder/board arrangement for pool egress. It's temporary and, I promise, it's held and monitored at all times any time a child is on it...the idiot father who created that death trap on the other hand gets to climb it himself. :lol:

justagi said:
except maybe throwing the dogs in first

Not one of our dachshunds enjoys the water at all, sadly. The Shepherd hasn't yet ventured in, so not sure on her. I'm a little leery of inviting her in, since she could do some pretty considerable damage to the liner if she panicked. The doxies can simply be grabbed and put on the deck...80 lbs of GSD, not so much. :lol:

allrighitie now, looks like your son is having a ball! :goodjob:

And you have your own GS guard dog, too. She is probably waiting for you to fix the ladder/board before she goes in :p

Please post more pics for us as the project progresses :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, max, that's not just you! Though, I've noticed it really doesn't matter what I drink...there's ALWAYS a Repair phase. :lol:

========

Numbers continue to look pretty yummy. I'm settling into a routine, I think. I check pH/FC daily, CC 3x a week, and the whole TF-100 series, along with 'thorough" cleaning (vacuum, brush, backwash if necessary) on Fridays.

I'm a big fan of routine. :lol:

=========

I do have a couple of questions for you experts however.

1) Is there any POOL reason not to filter 24/7? Obviously, I'm putting more hours on the pump than necessary, and using more electrons...but in terms of water chemistry/pool condition, there's no such thing as "over filtration" is there?

2) I'm logging daily test results, chemical additions, and observations to a spreadsheet. Does this make me a nerd? :lol:

============

Couple of quick pictures to show some progress. :)

Here's the extension to the "side" of the deck, widening it from 10' to 14'. None of this was done the other day when I posted the image of our son jumping in, so we've made a bit of decent progress in a few weekdays. (The dachshunds are existing construction.)

552153792-vi.jpg

This area will be raised and extended to the edge of the pool, as the "launch pad" to the left has been done. This area will be as wide as the main deck.

552176720-vi.jpg

The stairs will be moved to the right of this picture, with a path of pavers leading from them to the deck steps, and then pool steps will be installed to climb up onto the deck at the edge.

HOPEFULLY, this gets finished up this weekend. Big air show next weekend, and the plan is to cook a few brats, float in the pool, and watch airplanes fly over. :)

And I think many people have spreadsheets ... you have not gotten to the smart phone app phase yet ;)

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Love the GSD pic. We have a 3yr old all black and a new 8 week old black/tan in our "pack". Can't get the older one to swim, hates water. The new one is very curious and will get his first taste of it in the next month or so.

Glad to see the pool is open and running properly, good luck on the rest of the deck!

Melt In The Sun said:
The deck is looking good! No, no such thing as over-filtration; waste of electrons though :)

Thanks, MITS! And yeah, figured as much on the filter, but wanted to ask. Thanks for the info. :)

jblizzle said:
And I think many people have spreadsheets ... you have not gotten to the smart phone app phase yet

Welllllll

I AM working on a db driven web-app i can hit from the iPhone...that count? :lol:

BPSuperstore said:
Love the GSD pic. We have a 3yr old all black and a new 8 week old black/tan in our "pack". Can't get the older one to swim, hates water. The new one is very curious and will get his first taste of it in the next month or so.

Glad to see the pool is open and running properly, good luck on the rest of the deck!

Thanks, BP! The GSD is our 14 month old, Darcy. She's our newest. I've had a bazillion GSDs in my life, but this is the family's first. Most of the pack (including her) just thinks she's a big weird looking dachshund. :lol:

Melt In The Sun said:
Why 2 sets of steps?

The ladder on the right was included with the pool package, and was temporarily used to get out of the pool until the steps were acquired and installed yesterday.

The ladder requires a more permanent installation to be stable and safe, so for now it's off to the side with the outside steps pulled up and locked. Eventually, a set of pavers, perhaps a patio, something of that sort, will be going in, and the steps will be put to use then in that area.

Do the weinerdogs swim?

They all CAN...but the one on the left, looking in to the pool, is the only dog of the pack that has voluntarily entered the pool. He did so for the first time last night, walking down the steps to get in, and swim over to mom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.