Cracks in fiberglass steps

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
A new liner is going to be installed today. Yesterday, after the pool was drained, I noticed that there were several cracks in the steps. They appear as nail pops in new drywall, as if something from the back side was pushing into the steps causing a crack. There at least 20 of these. We are replacing the liner because we kept having to put water in it last year, and it is bleached out. Could it be possible these cracks are the problem?

I have attached a photo of the cracks, as well as the pool drained. I also attached a PDF of the cracks circled, as it is hard to see them in the photo.

The pool liner, 10 years old, is completely bleached out. I would really like to minimize this happening again, so any advise is appreciated. I am currently attending Pool School.

Attachments

• _DSC0145-001.JPG
    _DSC0145-001.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Pool Cracks.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 12
  • pool step cracks.jpg
    pool step cracks.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 140
Looks like a Liner Over Steps configuration. Will the new liner have the optional, thicker step material?

When liners age, they shrink and lose plasticity. The picture doesn't really show anything though. Without the liner being out of the way, there is no way I know of to see the step wall that has the protrusions. If the protrusions are small and smooth, they can usually be ignored. If not, they will need foam.

The bleaching was likely due to excessively high levels of chlorine over time and when elevating to shocking levels. I also don't like dark liners as they tend to lighten up over time too. Try not to overshoot shocking levels.

Scott

The liner did not go over the steps. It is hard to tell because the liner has bleached out so white. They are just normal white acrylic steps from Ft. Wayne Pools. The liner guys said today that they don't think they are cracked enough to be leaking. Guess time will tell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.