Jandy VS FloPro Variable Speed Pump and iAqualink Review

GZelano

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2008
Hockessin, Delaware
Thought i would provide a homeowner review for those interested. I recently replaced a Pentair 2HP Whisperflo pump with a Jandy VS FloPro. I also had to upgrade my Jandy RS-8 control board as i had revision MM so I decided to upgrade to the iAqualink at the same time. The Jandy FloPro was super easy to install myself and is designed to replace a pentair pump with the base kit and adapters included. it would be nice to be able to permanently attach the base kit to the pump but its not that big of deal. I also like that the pump can be disconnected and removed at any time versus the permanently mounted Pentair. My plan is to disconnect in the winter and store indoors. The Iaqualink was also very easy to install and get up and running. The initial setup was a little challenging, but i believe that the installation manual is intended for an installer, not a DIY homeowner. I did get everything up and running fine and couldn't be happier. I can barely hear the pump running, and i find myself constantly checking to make sure the pump is in fact running. The Iaqualink works flawlessly, and i can set and operate anything via my iPhone from my yard, house, etc.. I also like the online interface for setting, scheduling, operating anything. The response time is actually quicker than my one touch indoor controller. Hope this helps anyone looking into the Jandy pump or Iaqualink controller.

I also installed a Jandy FloPro and upgraded my RS8 to the iAqualink. As mentioned, the install is very easy and I thought setup (via the PC or iPhone app) very intuitive and easy.

My only issue was with the pump itself - maybe I got a lemon but after 2 weeks its died - pump had power but wouldn't turn on. After closer inspection I saw that the circuit board had a spot that was melted across a few soldiered points. Jandy/Zodiac customer support pretty much sucks as soon as you tell them you are a pool owner (not a "pool professional"). Even worse is if you tell them you installed it yourself - they wont warranty it! but that's a different story. I eventually got someone to come out for a warranty repair (someone Jandy recommended as certified with their products) Guy arrives - said he never seen one of these pumps in the field - he did the exact same diagnosis I did - check power, voltage, wiring etc. He was stumped. I had to show him the burnt board - at that point it was a call to Jandy (to tell them EXACTLY what I told them) then they replaced it. Been running fine for about 2 weeks.

I assume with anything electrical if its going to go out it will go out quick - hopefully the second one last the long haul

PRO's:
- easy install (both pump and board upgrade)
- great to access via PC and iPhone to do anything you want, heat pool, check temps, whats running, adjust salt, etc
- Quiet pump (220 watts @ 1500RPM)

CON's: Jandys support and warranty difficulties

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Aqualink RS system with the Jandy IQ900-RS iAquaLink Kit with RS PCB Upgrade and the VS-FHP2.0 pump, so this is helpful. Jandy would not send me the installation manual or a link to it since I was not a "pool professional..." Where did you get a copy of the manual since it is obviously invaluable for the install and setup? Thanks!

GZelano said:
Thought i would provide a homeowner review for those interested. I recently replaced a Pentair 2HP Whisperflo pump with a Jandy VS FloPro. I also had to upgrade my Jandy RS-8 control board as i had revision MM so I decided to upgrade to the iAqualink at the same time. The Jandy FloPro was super easy to install myself and is designed to replace a pentair pump with the base kit and adapters included. it would be nice to be able to permanently attach the base kit to the pump but its not that big of deal. I also like that the pump can be disconnected and removed at any time versus the permanently mounted Pentair. My plan is to disconnect in the winter and store indoors. The Iaqualink was also very easy to install and get up and running. The initial setup was a little challenging, but i believe that the installation manual is intended for an installer, not a DIY homeowner. I did get everything up and running fine and couldn't be happier. I can barely hear the pump running, and i find myself constantly checking to make sure the pump is in fact running. The Iaqualink works flawlessly, and i can set and operate anything via my iPhone from my yard, house, etc.. I also like the online interface for setting, scheduling, operating anything. The response time is actually quicker than my one touch indoor controller. Hope this helps anyone looking into the Jandy pump or Iaqualink controller.

I've had no luck in finding the actual installation manual for the IQ-900RS system board that I used to upgrade my Aqualink RS (and which is part of the iAqualink package since my system board was a very old version and had to be ungraded to control the VS-FHP pump that I bought at the same time)...

I tried to find an installation manual for the actual upgrade PCB and its programming but Jandy/Zodiac only make it available to "trained pool professionals" and research on both their website and Google came up empty. There is nothing for it on Jandy/Zodiac's site and Google comes up empty. I only found the basic installation/programing manual for the IAqualink itself. The link below is for the standalone Jandy pump control panel which I am not using since my Aqualink-RS is controlling it...

I got the system installed and operating but I have two questions:

1) There seems to be some question as to whether or not the power to the VS-FHP pump should be switched on or off by the Aqualink RS power control center or hardwired to the circuit breaker in there and left on, with the pump on and off and speed to be controlled over the RS-485 link to the Aqualink. Intuitively it seems to be that the power to the pump should always be one and not switched on and off but if that is done, where and how do you program the Aqualink-RS system to turn it on and off remotely? This is about the only part that is unclear to me at this point.

2) I have a solar heating system but how to connect and control the Jandy valve for it is confusing. There is a valve port on the new controller board that says "solar" but in the setup menu under "JVA assignment" that is not specifically mentioned and the only port the software will allow you to select is the "Aux Port." So, which do you use and how do you control it?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

JasonLion said:
Zodiac has downloadable copies of their manuals at their web site. However, it is easier to find them through Google than through the web site. I believe this one is for the pump.

I just upgraded my aquslinkrs to the iaqualink. Hook the iaqualink up just like you rs is hooked up. In the jva settings solar should automatically say used. Once you get everything hooked up you need to setup your iaqualink account and initialize the comms box if you are going to use wifi. The upgrade comes w/ a quick install guide for the comms box and the programming manual can be found on their website.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.