Haywood Sand pump problems

Apr 29, 2012
Last year we bought a house with an old cement inground pool. Basically the pool is structurally sound. My husband and I are GREEN when it comes to pool care. We did have the pool open last year, with help from friends and enjoyed our pool without issues. Due to a family situation, we did not get our pool covered over the winter (yeah, I know...that's not good!). When we hooked up the pipes (we have no underground jets or intake) all the pipes are above ground. Initially the pump was working....filtering, backwashing, etc. When I went to vac to waste we were getting a tremendous amount of leaves from the bottom. After a few clogs in the pipes, the leaves were out. However, now the pump won't backwash and it takes about 6 tries to get the pump to prime. It will filter, after several attempts, but will not backwash, rinse or recirculate. Would a clog in one of the lines possibly cause this? Could it be the sand needs changed? What are the signs that the sand needs changed? We have NO idea when it was done last. We are SO frustrated at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
James and Cathy

The filter is a Haywood Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Model#S244T. The pump is Haywood Super Pump Model#C48L2N134 and yes, I do believe it's a multiport. My husband won't be home until Wednesday, so I just copied the info off the items. Thank you so much!

Sorry I need more explanation.

If it'll filter then it should do the other actions. Does the multiport seem to operate correctly?
When you say it won't do any of the other actions, do you mean that it will select the options but no water moves?

After you got all the clogs fixed did you check the impeller to see if it was clogged?
Are there bubbles in the pump strainer basket when it is filtering?

I don't think you need to change the sand as it woudn't affect the flow with the valve on recirc or waste. Besides there's only a very few instances where you need to change the sand anyway. It doesn't wear out as some would have you believe.

That's what is SO confusing. The water will flow through when it's set on "filter". However, the motor just goes on and on when we try to backwash, rinse, circulate or vac to waste. It's really odd! No water will go through on the other options. The multiport seems fine. It was operating just fine until we started vacuuming to waste and had all those leaves sucked up...:( Yes, the water is flowing freely through the strainer basket. Is there a way to attach photos to these posts? Perhaps if I could show you our set up it might be easier to understand.
Thanks again!
Cathy

Most people here use photobucket to post pics to and then link them here.

What is your filter pressure gauge reading?

I think what you have is a suction leak or blockage. Is the strainer basket full of water when it's running?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.