Happy w/chlorine, switch to SWG as pool is being replumbed?

Jason7

Apr 28, 2012
*Opinions greatly appreciated*
I am repairing an 18x33 above ground pool that was hit by tree during Hurricane Irene -- installing a new liner (after 20 years!) and replumbing is now necessary, and I would greatly appreciate advice on whether to add a SWG now.
For the past 15 years I have been very happy with chlorine -- Bioguard Smart Shock once a week, Bioguard Silk Sticks once a week, Bioguared Backup algae once a week -- never any problems. I am in upstate NY and the pool is open for 4 months each year.
A Pool Pilot AG will cost me $700 installed, and it will take me at least 5 years to break even on this cost vs. Bioguard supplies.
Does the SWG have any real strong points in light of this? Maybe the liner will fade less? I never have any problems with algae, etc, and if I am away for a week, someone will add the Bioguard chemicals for me.
Many thanks for any opinions.
Jason

Re: Happy w/chlorine, switch to SWG as pool is being replumb

Welcome to the forum. :lol: YOu sound perfectly happy with what you have and you don't seem to be very interested in the extra CONVENIENCE that is the primary vlue of an SWG.

It sounds to me like you have found a system that works for you and you are happy with it. If it ain't broke.....

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: YOu sound perfectly happy with what you have and you don't seem to be very interested in the extra CONVENIENCE that is the primary vlue of an SWG.

It sounds to me like you have found a system that works for you and you are happy with it. If it ain't broke.....

Dave -- thanks very much for the quick reply...Also I don't have any problem with the chorine in my eyes, on my skin..but I wouldn't mind the convenience of not having to add shock, chlorine sticks and anti-algae avery week...but is the SWG itself (Pool Pilot AG) basically care-free? In some places I read that the blades in the unit need to be cleaned about every 30 days, and in other places it is maintenance free...

Again, my thanks for your help and expert opinion.
Jason

I'll let others comment on that....I don't have one. I am certainly not against them, I just don't need the convenience right now....that may change in a couple of years and I will get one. I do know that they require some cleaning maintenance but what I see as the most troublesome by far is there is post after post on here about he misunderstanding or malfunction of the electronics involved

I'm about 1 month in on my SWG and love it... only problem I've had is that the SWG is putting out chlorine that keeps my pool at about 7ppm (vs. my target of 3-5ppm). It is cold here, however, and I'm sure that will be a problem of the past when summer is in full swing. I run mine 24/7 on 20% - it is the pentair IC40. Good luck with your decision!

Except for the unnecessary weekly shocking and algaecide you're probably not doing too bad. Can you provide us a set of test results and how you go them?

I still think a swcg would be a good choice for you. You could also look at an injection pump or a liquidator. They make hauling chlorine easier because you don't have to haul it as often.

The frequency of cell cleaning would depend on your overall water balance, according to the Saturation Index. Most systems today are considered Self Cleaning Cell systems. This works great at keeping the cell clean, if your water chemistry is balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.