Stenner Pump Question

May 5, 2011
Western IL
I'm in the midst of automating my pool. Last year I did the manual addition of liquid bleach and bleach turning the pump on and off by hand. This year I've assembled a controller (old PLC and HMI) that will allow me the 'schedule' pump running along with running a Stenner pump to add the chlorine. However, as I was selecting a pump (45MHP10, adjustable from 1/2 to 10 GPD) I was confronted with a choice: 1/4 or 3/8" tubing size. The 3/8 causes the price to go from $299 to $312. What's the difference? What do other people choose? Thanks for the help.

I am a little confused on the pressure. Is the stated pressure in the specs for the pump or is it what it can handle being injected to?

Reading my filter gauge: My normal pressure is between 18-22 psi. 25 or higher with the solar's on. Does this effect which model I order?

They have two pressures. 100 psig and 25 psig. They're rated on the pressure they can inject into. I would suggest the 100 psi model as it comes with a check valve at the injection point. That way if a tube or tubing ruptures it won't flow pool water out of it.

Thanks!

Next question... I removed my pressure side 3/4hp 240v pump since it died. I am thinking of connecting the Stenner (the 220V version) to the timer. This timer only operates when the main pump is on. I am also thinking of using the "IN" side of the Liquidator (i.e. after the filter) as the point to inject the chlorine. Thus saving me from doing any more cutting of the PVC. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any Stenner pump can be converted to any other flow rate by changing the tube. There are constraints as far as pressure goes. A low pressure application can use any tube but a high pressure application can only use a high pressure tube. Notice I said high pressure application not high pressure pump. A high pressure pump can use a low pressure tube as long as it's used in a low pressure application.

WildeKurt said:
I'm in the midst of automating my pool. Last year I did the manual addition of liquid bleach and bleach turning the pump on and off by hand. This year I've assembled a controller (old PLC and HMI) that will allow me the 'schedule' pump running along with running a Stenner pump to add the chlorine. However, as I was selecting a pump (45MHP10, adjustable from 1/2 to 10 GPD) I was confronted with a choice: 1/4 or 3/8" tubing size. The 3/8 causes the price to go from $299 to $312. What's the difference? What do other people choose? Thanks for the help.

WildeKurt, your post indicated you are going to control injection with a PLC. Why would you then choose a variable speed Stenner pump if you can independently control time of injection? The variable speed pump is more costly and has more moving parts to maintain. The fixed speed pump is simpler, and less "on-time" would be more efficient and extend the life of the pump. Just curious.

carlscan26 said:
Oh wait I get it now. The tube sizes on the web site are for the supply and return lines, not the actual tube in the pump head.

Here are the various tube sizes and what output they can do. As stated before, all you have to do is change your tube and you can change the output of the pump. Also, as stated before, we do have specific tubes for low and high pressure. Low pressure tubes, #s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. High pressure #s 1, 2, 7. The number 3 and number 7 tubes will give the same output in GPD just at different pressures.

Our website has a lot of useful info on it stenner.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.