Indoor or not?? Now new and improved with pictures!

ontuy

Mar 26, 2008
Indiana
I purchased a home with a pool that is in what my wife calls an Atrium. The pool is oval 12x20x4 and the room it is in is 30x40 and is attached to the house. It is not a conditioned space. The perimiter of the room is made out of sliding glass doors and fixed glass panels (3 sliders and 16 panels). The roof of the Atrium is about 45' slope and has a ~20x20 glass sectioned panel. The room faces southeast so we get plenty of light in the afternoon. With good sun the room has been about 20' warmer than it is outside. We just purchased the house in December so I am waiting to see how the room is in the summer. I would imagine it will be very hot and very humid. I am planning on installing an attic fan in the end wall of the room to help with ventilation.

We have drained the pool and are in the process of some repairs and painting right now. I will be filling the pool in the next couple of weeks and need to know...

When I start treating this pool should I consider it an indoor or outdoor pool? I guess the main difference would be the amount of CYA to use or whether to use it at all. I have ordered the test kit that everyone recommends here and will be posting for some detailed help when I have the water in but in the mean time I am trying to prepare and make sure that I have everything on hand to give the BBB method a try.

If I should use CYA how much should I try to maintain?

Thanks for the help!

That is essentially an indoor pool. I suggest trying a low CYA level, perhaps 20 ppm. CYA can help an indoor pool be easier to manage and it sounds like you might get a little direct sunlight now and then, which CYA can help with as well.

Let's see if we can add some pics...

HousePictures429.jpg

HousePictures439.jpg

HousePictures438.jpg

These were taken before any work was done. The prior owners filled the pool and threw in 6 3" pucks and said "There you go".

We later found out the pool was leaking. We think we found the leak and have fixed it. We decided to paint the pool as well since the fiberglass was very stained and would not come clean. This also gave me the opportunity to clean out all the old permaseal from the seams and replace it prior to priming.

We are now waiting for the weather to cooperate a little more and then we can finish painting. You are probably wondering why we would need to wait for the weather on an indoor pool. Well there are a number of leaks from poor flashing on the roof. I will be fixing those soon as well.

yea please, it looks cool. in your remodel i would have a new roof and windows put in. add those heat bars on the ceiling and bam you have a year round pool.

A repair of the roof should suffice. The fixed panes of the windows are actually just slider panels and we are going to be filling them in with plywood and covering the outside of them with stone. This will give us a little more privacy and should be more cost effective than repacing all of the windows.

Here are some pictures of our project so far.

It took two days with hair dryers and scrapers to get the old nasty sticker off.

592.jpg

592.jpg

Teenagers actually helping!

594.jpg

We have the primer coat on and have let it dry for about 5 days. We will be painting this weekend. The wife chose dark blue. We are doing white on the coping and the relief pattern above the water line.

Hopefully we will be ready for water next weekend! I got my test kit and am ready to go.

Thanks for the kind words!

Here are a few more pics...

Shallow end...

DSCN1377.jpg

Finished...

DSCN1379.jpg

We used white Epoxy on the top and Dark Blue Epoxy on the bottom.

Sorry about the mess. I will put up some finished pictures when everything is done and gussied up. Now I have to fix my filter problem (as is being talked about int eh equipment area). I broke my filter trying to get things working.

This pool is getting to be more expensive than the boat!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! That's turning out really nice looking. It'll be fun to be able to swim in that pool with snow piling up outside on the other side of the window there. Sure would like to know how you got your teenager to help out with that. Unless it comes with an X-Box controller, my teenager just has no interest.

Great job!

Craig

It was actually easier than I was expecting. The only real problem we had is the bugs that ended up in the paint before it was able to dry. They are now permanent fixtures in the floor of the pool.

Now onto my filter...

Ideally, point the return a bit to the side to get a circulatory water pattern going so point it towards the longest circumference path that would then end up at the skimmer. If the return is already near a side, then it can point straight ahead if the skimmer is at the other end of the pool and not directly across from the return.

I can't tell for sure, but if the return is near the ladder and the skimmer is on the other side of that short wall at that end, then point the skimmer straight down the long wall so that it circulates down that end of the pool, around the other short end, back the other long side, and then to the skimmer (i.e. clockwise if looking at the pool from the ceiling).

Richard

Mom does real good guilt trips :)

This project was more than we were expecting but then again so is the whole house!

I am putting in the new sand filter this weekend and I will put up some pictures of the process.

I hope my plumbing skills are up to the task or I could have a very wet basement!

I thought I would add a couple pictures of our new filter install. The picture of the old filter didnt turn out so well but the one of the new set up look OK.

Here is what we started with...

DSCN1400.jpg

This is the new set up...

DSCN1408.jpg

DSCN1409.jpg

I put a couple extra shut offs in (I can't believe they didnt have these in before)...

DSCN1411.jpg

Night picture after the water cleared up...

DSCN1413.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.