Jets by seat/stair not producing much force, adjuster off?

Mar 31, 2012
Hi - first time poster, long time lurker. Great site

I have a 16x32 IG vinyl pool. Hayward 48 DE microclear (DE) filter. 1 skimmer, 1 return and two 'jets' by the steps/bench at the far end of the pool. on the edge of the pool by the step is a twist cap that used to adjust the amount of air into the two return jets, creating sort of a jacuzzi type effect by the seat/stairs.

Pool company opened the pool last weekend and it's been running well. only problem is now when I open that twist cap by the stairs, it just overflows w/water. Also the pressure of the jets seems less than it should be.

Any thoughts on what went wrong? Should i just remove the adjusters and try larger ones? Clogged pipes? wrong jets installed? Any harm in replacing them w/different types?

TIA,

Brian

Re: Jets by seat/stair not producing much force, adjuster of

The step jets are missing a Teflon ring. Bet the jet nozzles are floppy, right? The lock ring has one also. I usually pick up the lock ring and pull the Teflon ring out and use that for the back of the jet insert's ball. It gets inserted fairly deep in the jet body. Happens all the time.

Scott

that looks like them! the little jet piece spins freely, and i can push one of them in about 1/4 inch.

the outside ring that holds it against the pool is smooth, with two small holes opposite each other on the ring. Do I need to take that off first to remove the valve?

When I twist the jet it just spins & spins. Do I need a special tool to remove the valves?

wooo hoo! thanks for your help. Got them off. All the tabs were broken off both jets.

Seems like Leslie's doesnt have these. Should I be looking for a new style/kind?

Ok to run these returns without the jets on there? want to make sure I still circulate the water, no?

thanks again, you've been a great help.

Yes, you can run with them out. Make sure the venturi valves are closed.

I hate it when services put broken tabbed rings back in. No new style. Leslies can get them though. So can any other Pool retailer.

Scott

One ring goes in the screw in collar, one ring goes in the seat behind the jet insert. When the collar is threaded in correctly, it will hold the jet body in the correct position using friction. Because the Teflon is there, no scoring will form on the ball end of the jet body.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right. I worded that wrong.

Both jets have a ring behind them ( took one out of collar like you suggested, one already had it in there - had to reach in and fish it out!). So basically one is complete w 2 Teflon rings, and one one has 1 Teflon ring behind the jet but nothin behind the collar.

Vent at the top still leaks a bit when opened, but nowhere near like it was before. Probably due to that missing Teflon ring on the one collar.

Next up - figuring out how to aim these for best circulation and skimmer direction...

Thanks again!

ooh. ok.

Seems like that one return that I have (deep end, almost directly across from skimmer and suction port) doesn't do a great job circulating any of the water in the shallow end. Pool is 16x32. No way to address that I guess...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.