Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Deck

1. Back To Top    #1

New Deck

I just finished building my deck with pressure treated pine. How long do I have to wait before I stain/seal? Most builders here recommend 30 days. I'm thinking of using Cabot stains/sealers, does anyone have any other suggestions for a better product? Also, I see that Cabot has alot of products. Does anyone know what should be used for UV and water protection?

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    What is their reasoning behind waiting 30 days? I always thought the sooner you protect pressure treated wood, the better.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never heard of waiting to stain either. Is it really wet?

I have Behr Premium Weatherproofing Wood Finish on our gazebo and swingset. PT pine is pretty darned hardy stuff, you can really use just about anything you want. You're going to have to coat it every 4 or 5 years no matter what you use (more for appearance sake than protection).
    Our pool adventure... click here

4. Back To Top    #4

Most reasoning for waiting 30 days is for it to dry out, but who knows if this is true.

TresW, how long have you had your deck, with the Behr finish, and have you had any problems or damage?

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    kmb,

PT pine in full Sun in the South is gonna need treating every couple of years to look decent. The
    Sun/moisture/dryout cycle is probably the harshest environment wood is subjected to.

I put a temporary PT sidewalk in full Sun while I'm completing a project. This is it's second summer coming up and I would consider it pretty well shot......I have done nothing to it and it just can't deal with that cycle without a LOT of protection.

That's why that synthetic decking has gotten popular despite it's price.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School