Melbourne, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Any math wizzes out there? I'm curious to get a more accurate figure about how large my pool is in gallons. I just added 80 pounds of salt to the pool which increased my salinity by 560ppm. With these known facts, I should have enough data to be able to calculate my pool volume I think.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Don't forget the pool calculator has a "Estimating pool volume" section. ;D Should give you a very close idea on your gallons.

Thanks leebo, I saw that too. Just trying get a better estimate by using another method :study:

Appreciate that fast reply!

Okay you baited me into it: adding exactly 80 lbs of salt to get 560 ppm at 80 deg. F, I get 17178.59 gallons.

Of course those bags are not exact weight and there are some impurities in them. Assuming perfectly pure salt, but a +/- 2 lbs per bag (I am assuming each bag is 40 lbs), that gives a range of as low as 16319.66 gallons or as high as 18037.52 gallons...not too bad but...as duraleigh stated your test approach is also inaccurate...a +/-400 ppm means your pool could be as low as 10020.84 gallons, and as high as 60125.06 gallons :shock: ...

combining both of those error sources gives the estimate:

9519.8 gallons
to
63131.31 gallons

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I think you are better off estimating by doing measurements. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Karl
The best way to get a close estimation of the volume is by keeping track of many chem additions and keep adjusting it in the pool calculator until the amount of chems it suggests causes the exact change expected. One or two additions aren't enough to be accurate because of the variability in the chems and measurements.

Thanks for everyone's replies ... seems that no matter what, there is going to be a huge variation short of using the measuring tape.

Apreciate everyone taking the time for feedback! Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another option is to download Google Sketch-Up.

Measure your pool, and model it in Sketch-UP... it has a Volume calculation for objects.

That is what I did since I have a deep end with sloped walls. Original owners said pool was 35,000 gallons.

After measuring with a tape measure and modeling in Sketch-up.. turns out pool is 27,000 :)

-Craig

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.