What do I do first?

Aug 14, 2011
My 24' Intex swg pool is about full, but I don't know what to put in first. The salt? I have a cheap Walmart pool tester that tests for PH which is 6.8 right now, clorine and bromine (whick I haven't tested). Do I need to get a better test kit? If so, what should I put in the pool till it gets here?

Welcome to TFP!

Raise the PH up to at least 7.2 with either borax, soda ash, or PH increaser.

Until you get some CYA in the water, add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening.

You can add salt any time.

You also want to start working on raising the CYA level.

If you order a better test kit now, and assuming you have some kind of chlorine test, the new kit should be there soon enough that you shouldn't have any significant problems.

Hi agr8mom23boiz and welcome to TFP! :)
Jason said to add 2ppm each evening. Your probably a little confused at how to do that? You want to use the Pool Calculator to do this, go here and start playing with it to learn how to use it.
http://www.poolcalculator.com/
Come back here if you have a questions on how to use it.
You will want to get some CYA (known as stabilizer) in there soon too.
CYA will protect the chlorine from the sun using all your chlorine up
40ppm is where I have mine at in Florida sun.

Chuck

Thanks guys!! This site is fantastic and that pool calculator is REALLY neat. Following your advice till the TF-50 test kit with Salt Test Strips arrive. Then I guess I follow the procedure in the Water Balance for SWG's article. Things are starting to make a little more sense now. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.