Proper lubricant for o-rings

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
After getting estimates for opening my pool (~$500 including taking off cover, removing plugs, reconnecting heater & pump, initial vacuuming, and initial shock with chlorine), I think I'm going to do this myself. One question I have is what is the proper type of lubricant for the DE filter and pump o-rings? Is WD-40 appropriate or should I use a silicone based product?

Teflon based lubricants are ok also. My favorites are Magic Lube (teflon and Magic Lube II (silicone) by Aladdin. You can find it at a pool supply store since they are made for pool and spa use. I would stay away from some of the general purpose silicone spays and lubes because some of them do contain petroleum products which can destroy o rings.

Yeah I would suggest a Teflon based lube- definitely not WD40! I personally use magic lube on my customers equipment. I would suggest staying away from aqualube which after time turns into a gunky mess.

I used MagicLube II on my pump, heater and plug (and vacuum) o-rings last season and I can't believe what good shape they looked to be in this past weekend when I opened. I used it again when I opened this year.

muss08 said:
Yeah I would suggest a Teflon based lube- definitely not WD40! I personally use magic lube on my customers equipment. I would suggest staying away from aqualube which after time turns into a gunky mess.

Yup. It's also very very sticky. I've got a buddy in the pool service business who's fond of saying "if you get Aqualube on your truck it was probably time to get a new truck anyway"!

Aquaman95 said:
muss08 said:

Yup. It's also very very sticky. I've got a buddy in the pool service business who's fond of saying "if you get Aqualube on your truck it was probably time to get a new truck anyway"!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Has anyone used "Super-Lube" grease on pool o-rings and pumps? I used it for all sorts of things on my sailboat. The company says it can be used for pool pumps and I have many tubes of it from when I went to boat shows and they would give it away..
Harry

Re:

HarryMichael said:
Has anyone used "Super-Lube" grease on pool o-rings and pumps? I used it for all sorts of things on my sailboat. The company says it can be used for pool pumps and I have many tubes of it from when I went to boat shows and they would give it away..
Harry

Look out! I'm going to bump this 3 year old thread!

I know that Magic Lube is all the rage here, but I absolutely hate handling that stuff. It's good if you want to "paste" something into position and have some lubricating properties. But it seems a heck of a dirt attractant, and clean up is a nightmare.

I just used Super Lube on a Snap-On toolbox to free up the ball bearings that were varnished up by some Crud that Snap-on used on them. This stuff is awesome and has been around for a long time. It is H1 rated and food grade. Easy to work with, stays where you put it, and makes things slick.

I just had a tube of Magic Lube get crushed so I don't want to buy anymore and am thinking about switching to Super Lube for all the Pool O-rings.

Anybody else use Super Lube or have any thoughts? This stuff is usually cheaper as well!
http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ezp-49.html
http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs/super_lube_catalog.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.