Connecting Pump to Timer

Apr 3, 2012
I have an Intermatic timer to install. My pump has a three prong plug right now. I will need to replace the power cord to the pump. Do you just use 12/2 wire from the timer to the pump or can I buy something similar to the power cord to make that connection? I just need to know what to ask for at the hardware store.

If you have a 20 amp fuse or breaker - then yes, 12/2 is fine, if you have 30 Amp - then you need 10/2.

How exactly are you connecting this up ? If I could, I'd connect my timer output to an outlet that you plug the pool pump into (and you should have GFCI somewhere from the power panel to the pump).

I'll have a 20 amp breaker, 12/2 to a gfci outlet, 12/2 from the outlet to the timer, then the timer will operate the pump and SWG.

Adding another outlet would be the easiest way to do it. That just never occurred to me. Does that sound like a logical way to connect everything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.