Paint Flaking; Do I need to do anything?

Jun 30, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Like a few previous posters here, I bought a house with a pool, and now, almost two years later, the paint in the pool is beginning to flake off and bubble up. Do I need to do anything about the flaking? So-far, most of the flakes are small, with the largest spots being about a quarter in size. The plaster underneath appears to be fine, although with small spots like that, it's hard to really tell. One problem that I do have is that Algae likes to live under the loose but not yet broken-off parts of paint. However, I think with a bit more aggressive bleach regimen this summer, I can keep that under control.

The aesthetics of the peeling paint don't bother me that much. If I'm happy with the appearance, and can keep the Algae controlled, is there any negative to just letting the paint flake away through the season?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.