Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello all,

I was wondering how is salt regenerated in a SWG. Can someone please tell me the chemical reactions in a SWG?

I know chlorine is produced by electrolysis of NaCl but how is NaCl regenerated?

Thanks!

The salt is provided by adding pool salt to your pool in levels that are usually between 3000 - 3600 ppm. As the salt is disolved in the water, it passes through the SWCG and the reaction takes place in the cell. As the chlorine is used up in the pool it returns to salt and the whole process begins again. Salt is NOT generated by the SWCG. Chlorine is.

Please read the pool school articles on this subject for a better explanation and also the balancing your water for SWG article.

Thanks for the replies!

I was wondering how NaCl is regenerated and looking for the chemical equation for that reaction.

Whats going on in my mind? Trying to design a floating chlorine generator which will use electrolysis of NaCl (brine). So I am trying to find a way to get rid of H2 safely and see if i can regenerate NaCl from the NaOH left behind.

If anyone has looked into this I would appreciate any information.

You should look at the link I posted above, it is all spelled out there. The one thing to keep in mind is that the entire reaction happens in solution, so the NaCl is not NaCl but instead Na+ and Cl-. If you remove the water it forms NaCl again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.