Hard piping from Intex Skimmer/filter combo

I'm setting up my pool for the season and I'm going to hard pipe it. My pool came with the beloved Summer Escapes skimmer/filter/pump combo, but I quickly upgraded to the sand filter, pump and SWCG that they had on sale last year. My issue is finding a way to get rid of the pump that attaches to the bottom of the skimmer and somehow adapt it to accept 1-1/2" PVC. :hammer:

Has anyone figured out a way (other than getting a new skimmer, which I may do at some point) to hard pipe these skimmers? I've only seen a couple of people post that they even have them, so I think Summer Escapes figured out it was a bad design..... but hey, when has a that ever stopped them before. :lol:

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Is that the SFS2000 type skimmer with a pump attached to the bottom? I would really like to see or hear your idea. I am trying to do the same this year.

I had tried the G.A.M.E. Skim Filter Pump Adapter Kit, but it is for a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" opening. Of course, there were no specifications available before I wasted money on the purchase.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to what you have come up with.

justopie,

It is the same skimmer. My plan is to take a 1 1/2" Trap Adapter (it's threaded on one end with a plastic nut) from Lowe's, modify the plastic nut so that it will screw all the way down to the collar and then use a 1 1/4" hole saw to open up the bottom of the skimmer. That way you can insert the adapter from the bottom and use the nut and a gasket to hold it and make the seal. Then it would be easily removable for service or taking the pool down.

I've thought of a dozen different ways to adapt it, but this one seems to have the best chance for working...... and it's super cheap. :-D

Chuck,

The pool I have included the skimmer, which is the SFS2000 type skimmer. I didn't see a reason at the moment on patching the pool wall and then replacing it with a different skimmer. However, it may be cheaper in the long run to do just that. We'll see.

Crum..did your modification work? I have the same setup and just went to the sandpump filter also but am waiting for a part from Intex, so any mods I can make while wait would be great. If you can send a pick and what you used would be great.

I cut a hole matched to the size of the adapter fitting using a hole saw. If you look inside the skimmer at the bottom you can see a raised circular ring. I used that to center the hole saw. It worked perfectly, no leaks! However, I also upgraded my pump, so now when I use the pool vacuum, my skimmer collapses in. I'll take pictures of it the skimmer with the vacuum turned on. Eventually I have a feeling the skimmer will eventually crack.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.