Outdoor rock fireplace chimney - share with house fireplace?

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
Please give my typing mistakes. I'm posting from my iPhone. The keys are small, my fingers are fat, and the phone keeps incorectly correcting me.

I'm am transitioning between the dreaming and planning stage of an outdoor fireplace and wood oven. The location I want for it is just opposite the living room fireplace. Is it possible to tie the chimneys together around ceiling height. Or should I plan on building a new chimney above roofline next to the existing one? I'm concerned two chimneys side by side would look bad on the house roofline.

If it makes any difference the existing fireplace is modern with metal firebox and metal pipe chimney.

Re: Outdoor rock fireplace chimney - share with house firepl

These rules vary depending on location and authority, so you'll have to check your local building codes. But it's usually considered unsafe because the exhaust products from one fireplace can find it's way back into the house through the other fireplace.

+1 for WestSidePool's comments. Check your codes, but it's probably not allowed. I bet you could run two separate metal chimneys inside one larger stone structure.

And +1 from Melt. It would probably require a rebuild for your current chimney. You will have to have 2 separate flues going up the entire chimney chase. Tying 2 flues would do exactly that.....drafting the wrong place/wrong time, and you would have some issues.

Ok, so my first idea to merge the flues into one is a no go.
Maybe two flues in the existing chimney structure is workable. I'll look closer at what is there now to see.

WestSidePool said:
These rules vary depending on location and authority, so you'll have to check your local building codes. But it's usually considered unsafe because the exhaust products from one fireplace can find it's way back into the house through the other fireplace.

X2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.