New heater vs head unit replacement

Apr 26, 2012
I own a Raypak 2100 Digital heater approx 10 yrs old. It has worked well, but during my pool opening the tech said the drain plug popped out and might be stripped. If the drain plug is not the problem, then the plastic head unit might be stripped and would need replacement. When the pool company's owner called to discuss ordering the drain plug, he said if that did not work I should replace the entire heater ($3500) because the cost of replacing the head unit is so high due to the amount of labor required. He said most heaters last about seven years and I should not pay a lot to repair mine. Is this true? I hope the new drain plug will work, but if not I would hate to replace the entire heater due to stripped threads on the head unit.

Welcome to TFP.

Hopefully it's the plug that's the problem and you'll have worried for nothing.

If it's the head you can still repair it unless it's cracked. It can be drilled and tapped for the next larger size. If you're fairly handy it's a DIY job.
Here's a similar heater with the same issue and how it was fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.