Pump empties skimmer before it can fill?

skurys

Apr 25, 2012
Just curious if it is normal that the pump sucks the water out of the skimmer faster than the pool water can flow back in the skimmer when the water is anywhere below halfway between the max and min lines?

Granted, I usually keep it at max, and putting the 3 way valve to take water from both the skimmer and the drain prevents this, was just curious...

Also is that the correct position for the 3 way valve or should I be filtering from the skimmer only and not the drain port?

Thanks

:wave: Welcome :wave:

I would say either raise the water level some to help the water get into the skimmer or reduce the suction from the skimmer. Nothing wrong with pulling some water from the bottom as it gives you better circulation.

Check and make sure the skimmer flap (called a weir (sp?). Mine was getting stuck for just a split second on some gunite that wasn't cleaned off of the inside of the skimmer and that was enough for the skimmer to empty and for the pump to lose prime.

Both of the above posts have good advice but to answer your question, No it's not normal. Anytime you suck the skimmer empty you're allowing air into the system and that's not a good thing. Make sure you have a weir and that it's working correctly and it's fine, even preferable, to pull from the skimmer and main drain.

Give us a list of your equipment so we'll know what we're dealing with. It sounds like your pump may be oversized for the suction devices you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.