Bonita Springs, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a Jandy check valve with the clear cover that about 1.5 years old. The spa was leaking into the pool so I took the cover off of the check valve and the red flapper is discolored and peeling but more importantly part of the red flapper seems to have melted onto the black body. There is a ridge of red plastic on the seat of the black body.

Has anyone else experienced this? What is causing this?

MA is injected about 4 feet before the check valves; there are two Jandy Neverlube 3-way valves before the check valves and before the MA injection point; the 3-way valves are just fine. As a side note, the Jandy 3-way valve is almost always closed (opens for spa and fountain) which does not allow water to flow to the check valves.

I talked to the installer about the check valves deteriorating and his comment was that it's typical, he see it all the time, pool chemicals are harsh on valves and the flappers should be replaced every couple of years or when the spa drains into the pool...

It could be related to the MA. Perhaps some residual MA is affecting the rubber while the system is off.

The Never-Lube valves use a much better grade of rubber, which will be more resistant to chemical attack. I think that you can replace the flapper with a Never-Lube flapper.

I am confused how are never lube flappers different from the Jandy check valve flappers ... aren't they the same thing?

Or are you saying the Jandy check valves are better than Pentair check valves?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
I am confused how are never lube flappers different from the Jandy check valve flappers ... aren't they the same thing?
I was thinking that the check valves were available in two different types of rubber seal. I will check to see if there is one, or more, type of rubber, if I get a chance. Perhaps, someone else will know.

All of the Jandy check valves are good quality. Jandy makes two grades of three way valves, but only one quality level of check valves.

I suspect that Keven is correct and it has something to do with glue from when the valve was installed.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove the lip/ridge of red plastic from the seat of the black body of the check valves? The two check valves are at ground level and I do not want to replace the entire check valve. I know the flapper/cover assembly can be replaced, I need help removing the red plastic lip from the valve body seat.

The rubber o-ring seal of the flapper is still intact and not affected; it's the red plastic part of the flapper that has somehow melted part of itself to the black valve body and left a ridge/lip of red plastic on the seat of the black valve body.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.