Cannot Get Out Dirt

Feb 17, 2010
Hey Guys and Gals,

Came home from the Easter holiday to find that someone had thrown mud balls into my swimming pool from over our fence. My beautiful pool was full of dirt. I have tried and tried to get all the fine red dirt out of my pool with no luck. My question is how do I do it? I sweep and the crystal clear water takes on an Oklahoma red dirt tint. It all settles back to the bottom and I vacuum and it seems to turn to a cloud of dust (even going very very slowly)
Any help would be sooooo greatly appreciated!!

Hi Dawn,

When you vacuum, are you setting it to "waste"? We have the red clay here in Georgia as well and that is sometimes my only option, as it will work its way through the filter back to the pool.

I also changed my polaris 380 to a "fine mesh" bag which helps!

If it settles to the bottom, you need to vacuum even slower and it will eventually come out. May take several tries.

If you sweep it into suspension, the filter will probably clean it eventually, too, but that may take much longer.

I would vacuum at a snails pace....I think it's your only viable option.

Thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it! I know this sounds goofy but what is a silt bag? I have only owned my pool for about 3 years so I am a novice still! I would love to find the guilty parties but I sure hope they had fun doing it because the cleanup has not been fun :(

maxepr1 said:
Silt bag goes on your vac. It is basically like a nylon stocking material and it traps the dirt a sand in the bag.

Confused. Why would you need a silt bag on your vacuum if you are vacuuming to waste?

Or are you saying to put a silt bag on an automatic cleaner of some sort?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.