Moved pump on deck of agp and will not hold a prime?

I am still fairly new to pools and just moved my 2hp hayward pump/cartridge filter onto my deck around the 18' Intex pool. The plumbing is slightly up hill and then turns into about a 12" 90 deg up then into the pump and I have to manually prime the pump everytime to keep the water flowing. I understand gravity and all, but I figured with the 2hp pump it would pull the water through easily. Is this simply not going to work and I just need to move the pump back downhill, or is there a type of in line primer I can install or something? Sorry for the lack of pictures.

The most common difference in the designof AG and IG pumps is the AG pumps are not self priming.

You could probably do a work-around by installing a check valve on the suction (intake) pipe leading to your pump. Your suction piping will have to be airtight for that to work.

if your AGP pump is above your water line...it won't work..you'll lose the prime every time you shut off your pump. I battled this for the last 2 years with mine...I even put "check" valves on both the intake side and return side, but it never worked well. I finally am re-plumbing my pump right now, to sit BELOW the water level to make this "headache" go away once and for all.

I think you meant inground! :shock:

How far above the water line is the pump suction?

Is all the water leaving the pump basket when you shut it off?

Are there bubbles in the pump basket when it's running?

Is there air in the filter when it's running?

If the suction and return is below the water line AND there are no leaks in the system, you shouldn't lose prime when you shut it off.

^ Yes I meant Inground.
The pump is about no more than maybe 2 feet above water level.
When pump is off about half of the pump basket is full.
No bubbles in basket when running just a trickle of water coming in.
When Running i can barely get 8psi in the filter, on high speed.

It would work if both of your lines came out of the pool, then went 90 degrees straight down to the bottom of the pool, then made a 90 degree turn and ran horizontal to the bottom of the pool for a few inches, then turned 90 degrees and went up to the pump.

Having the lines running down and then back up would prevent the lines from draining down, or from a siphon draining the pump.

That is why inground pools can have the pump higher.

Works kinda like the S-Trap on your sinks and toilets, (but those are for odor control).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.