Taking the Plunge! in Maryland

Mar 13, 2012
After years of hearing my wife bemoan for a pool in the summer heat we have decided to take the plunge. We started interviewing PB's in January to get an early start to the build so we could be open for swimming season here in the Northeast. We are well into the process now, however, after following other builds on this site I wanted to detail mine along with the challenges we have faced to this point.

Attachments

• pool build - 16.jpg
    pool build - 16.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 778
  • pool build - 11.jpg
    pool build - 11.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 778
  • pool build - 08.jpg
    pool build - 08.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 778
XsAllOverIt, we are located in the Elkton/Fair Hill area of Maryland.

Here are some additional pics of the progress. After the initial dig things were moving very fast, they dug on Monday (March 5th) and completed rebar and plumbing on Wednesday of the same week. Steel and rough plumbing inspections were passed by the following Monday and the Gunite crew shot the pool the following Wednesday (March 14th). We watered the pool several times a day for 7 to 8 days to maximize the cure. We were excited considering we were hardly two weeks into the process and were already curing the shell.

Attachments

• pool build - 52.jpg
    pool build - 52.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 747
  • pool build - 50.jpg
    pool build - 50.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 747
  • pool build - 44.jpg
    pool build - 44.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 747
I have been busy with work and trying to get tasks done around the pool and am just getting around to updating my build. It took us some time to get tile and coping completed and they ran out of tile the first day (somehow?) and had to finish their work on Easter Sunday. Additionally, after almost a month from the day we met with the stonemason we finally got the stonework on the raised bond beam completed and the sheer descent installed. Turns out they built the raised bond beam bigger than the plans, by almost double, and there were some delays as the stonemason and PB determined how to handle this issue. Well, we got twice the raised bond beam for the same money, only cost was the month delay.

Attachments

• pool build - 62.jpg
    pool build - 62.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 605
  • pool build - 62.jpg
    pool build - 62.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 605
  • pool build - 53.jpg
    pool build - 53.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 605
  • pool build - 53.jpg
    pool build - 53.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 605
So after the tile and stone delays we have finally gotten concrete poured around the pool. You can also see my progress in building paver steps down from my existing patio to the pool area. I have been shoveling dirt, stone, dirt, more dirt, and finishing a fence in preparation for the plaster. The PB is coming out tomorrow to complete the pre-plaster inspection and we hope to plaster and fill late this week or early next week. I can see the light! I will post more pics of the project in the next few days.

Attachments

• pool build - 84.jpg
    pool build - 84.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 602
  • pool build - 84.jpg
    pool build - 84.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 602
  • pool build - 75.jpg
    pool build - 75.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 602
  • pool build - 75.jpg
    pool build - 75.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 602
  • pool build - 70.jpg
    pool build - 70.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 602
  • pool build - 70.jpg
    pool build - 70.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 602

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool looks great and I love the shape (and the name of it)!
We just finished our pool build in Central MD. Turned the heater on a couple of weeks ago and my kids have been swimming ever since. I am waiting for it to get a little warmer :)
Good luck with your build. It is really moving along.

Finally getting around to posting pics, we have been busy getting the pool and yard in shape. My PB plastered the pool on Mother's Day... made my wife very happy. The drawback was we had to fill the pool from our well until Monday when we could get water trucked in. On the bright side, I saved money on trucked water as we were able to fill about 2/3's of the pool from noon Sunday until mid-morning Monday. My PB came out on Thursday to startup the pool and could not figure out how to turn on my VS pump... I was at work so we had to reschedule. That evening I was able to start the pump after changing the dip switches on the pump to the correct setting. My PB came out the next morning, at my demand, and started up the pool. We have spent the time since then brushing the plaster and getting the chemicals in check. We received our Final approval last Friday and spent the entire Memorial Day weekend in the pool! We are loving it. We still have some landscaping work to do but here are some pics.

Attachments

• pool build - 93.jpg
    pool build - 93.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 407
  • pool build - 92.jpg
    pool build - 92.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 407
  • pool build - 87.jpg
    pool build - 87.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 407
I realized I never posted "completed" photos of my pool build. We have been enjoying it and while relaxing with an adult beverage in the pool I have already started planning how to hide the equipment pad and put in a bar... sounds like a plan for next spring!

Attachments

• IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 310
What is a Bulldog like you doing in the NE!?! Just kidding. I love your pool.

Only advice is to make whatever you hide the pad with solid on the sides facing the pool and house. I hate listening to my pump run while I swim..

Go Bulldog!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.