outdoor cover

Jul 13, 2007
We have the proverbial blank slate when it comes to our new pool. We would like to have some type of cover from the sun out on our deck and we will still have room for baking. We have considered some type of gazebo like you see at Sam's or Target but not sure how well they will stand up to Oklahoma winds. All of the displays seem to be inside the stores :) Had a neighbor in GA a few years back that had an outdoor pavilion built and it was very cool. I don't have anything close to his budget but was thinking something on a smaller scale might work. Any thoughts on what might work? What about any reasonable ideas for a small pool house/storage shed. Thanks!

I would like to hear some ideas for shade/shelter by the pool too. I bought one of the gazebos from Target last year. I thought I had it tied well to the fence next to the pool. Unfortunately the first big storm blew the whole thing over and into the pool. Luckily I didn't get a hole in the liner (inground vinyl liner pool).
I have seen these shade sails online.. wondering if anyone has ever used one of them?
Here is a link to one selling on Amazon.
Shade Sail at Amazon.com

I have bought the gazebo/canopy from Sam's (10x10 Garden Canopy I think it's called). I haven't put it up yet but did do a lot of research on these before buying. I saw where a lot of folks had their Target canopies torn up by the wind and they didn't give them very good reviews. This one from Sam's is supposed to hold up well. It had great reviews. I will be bolting it to the concrete deck. I think that is what makes the difference in losing it and not. I have friends who have done this and they haven't had any problems for almost 5 years! So, like you rockyboy, I would love to have a pool house or a more "generously priced" gazebo, but the budget just won't allow it at this time. Not to mention my HOA probably wouldn't approve it anyway! It should be going up in the next couple of weeks, so as the Spring storms roll in, I'll let you know how it holds up.

We have our storms here in OKC as well so that is what has me concerned. Our trampoline was actually blown out of our yard over a six foot privacy fence last Spring and those things are not light. Our sams actually has a screen room that has two doors and a fabric top...roughly 13 feet diameter. I really like this especially for mosquito protection. It is not totally weather proof, but could store most of the deck stuff in the winter. Sam also has a pretty massive metal gazebo but it is almost too big. I am a bit concerned about drilling into our deck but I suppose people do it every day with success. Our POA would also have issues. I sent them a pic of a Summerwood pool cabana asking for approval and was denied. Those are very nice but also expensive so I didn't fight it. If I had the budget, I would press harder. Thanks!

I've seen that metal gazebo at Sam's you're talking about and you're right...it's huge! I don't have near enough room for that; neither in my yard or my budget! I really haven't had a second thought about putting the holes in the concrete. I think that would be better than it ending up in the pool and tearing something up. That was a pretty big storm to tumble your trampoline! What storms you get head our way once their done with you, so it doesn't surprise me.

I kind of had two concerns about the holes in the concrete. One was simply drilling holes in our new deck and what we would do when we decided we want something different out there....which is 99% likely since we have never owned a pool. Two, I am concerned that they still may not be enough to keep the darn thing in place. I am thinking of those small concrete anchors but I am sure that there is a way to do a heavy duty job. Let me know how the installation goes. We find that with Sams, if you see something you like, get it because it may not be there next time. If you are patient and something does survive the summer, you can get some things pretty cheap!

Rockyboy,
I thought I would let you know how the canopy was doing so far and show you what it looks like. I did indeed drill 2 holes in my concrete. All 4 poles are bolted into concrete. This thing isn't going anywhere! :lol: We've had a couple of storms, but I don't think any too severe. But so far, so good.

101_0097.jpg

Sorry it's so grainy...my camera apparently doesn't DO night pictures! :lol:

What did you ever end up doing???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.