New pump is 'clicking' - what did I do?

Sep 21, 2011
I installed a new motor today. However, it keeps going into a 'clicking' in which the speed keeps changing and the motor doesn't run smoothly. I'm assuming it is not supposed to do this. Is there something I did wrong? Could this be a wiring issue? Something else?

jblizzle said:
We are going to need more info ... like the type of pump to have any hope of offering a suggestion.
Is is single speed? 2-speed? variable speed?

It's a single-speed 1hp high efficiency pump. This one to be exact...

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017057203.htm

I did my best - but I'm not strong with electrics, and (since I went with the high efficiency motor) the wiring set-up was different.

I guess it could be a wiring issue. Was your old pump 120 or 240V? What were you wiring this one for ... could be either 120 or 240?

I do not think the "high efficiency" has anything to do with how it is wired.

Can you post a picture of the wiring on it currently?

jblizzle said:
I guess it could be a wiring issue. Was your old pump 120 or 240V? What were you wiring this one for ... could be either 120 or 240?

I do not think the "high efficiency" has anything to do with how it is wired.

Can you post a picture of the wiring on it currently?

I think this is the issue. This new one has a switch for 115 or 230. I don't know how to tell whether I have 115 or 230 there, but I switched it over to 115 - and it worked perfectly. Sound right? Is there any way to confirm?

When I read the issue, my first thought was that you had it set to operate on 230 volts but your power feed was 115 volt. Sounds like my first impression was correct.

Look at the breaker for the pump and if it's a single breaker then it's 115 volt. If it's two handles tied together or a double wide breaker then it's 230 volt.

Bama Rambler said:
When I read the issue, my first thought was that you had it set to operate on 230 volts but your power feed was 115 volt. Sounds like my first impression was correct.

Look at the breaker for the pump and if it's a single breaker then it's 115 volt. If it's two handles tied together or a double wide breaker then it's 230 volt.

Thanks Bama - I thought I remembered that the single/double breaker was the way to tell the difference, but I couldn't find a way to confirm that. It is a single breaker, and it runs beautifully now that I have it set to 115v.

Thanks for all the help, everyone - tonight it's on to testing and treatment!

Ok...

The pump is running and all was working well. However, when I added DE to the skimmer the PSI jumped from 10 to 15 in a couple minutes then from 15 to 25 within the next 30 minutes. Now the pump is running but there is no pressure to the water coming back through the returns.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the lack of pressure in the returns a reflection of a clogged up filter? Did the pressure increase so quickly because of how dirty the pool is? Do I just need to keep cleaning the filter frequently until the pool gets cleaned up?

Adding DE to the filter does 'clog' it somewhat, which is why it is recommended to add only enough to increase the pressure about 1 psi, and not when there is a lot of debris in the water. By adding DE, you make the filtration finer, which will catch finer particles and clog more, which closes more pores in the filtration media, which catches more particulate, which... etc. etc.
Backwashing will clear it. You should in general backwash the filter when you see somewhere around a 10psi increase in pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohm_Boy said:
Adding DE to the filter does 'clog' it somewhat, which is why it is recommended to add only enough to increase the pressure about 1 psi, and not when there is a lot of debris in the water. By adding DE, you make the filtration finer, which will catch finer particles and clog more, which closes more pores in the filtration media, which catches more particulate, which... etc. etc.
Backwashing will clear it. You should in general backwash the filter when you see somewhere around a 10psi increase in pressure.

Wow - the stuff I don't know!!

So, does this mean I should be running without adding DE until I get the pool fairly cleaned out? Perhaps I should clean it and start over without DE?

Let me correct my earlier post. I erroneously thought you had a sand filter. I was wrong. :oops:
You need DE in your filter - it's a DE filter. Just make sure you get the correct amount for your filter and don't overfill it. But don't operate it without DE.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. :oops:

If your pool isn't clear then a DE filter can clog up in a matter of a few minutes in a worse case scenario. You'll just have to keep cleaning and recharging it until you get it mostly clear. It's aggravating but it's worth it in the end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.