Help with getting my wife's hot tub running

Apr 17, 2012
Nobody's happy if moma's not happy (with working hot tub)...... I was hoping to get some suggestions on getting my hot tub running. I believe I have a bad motor--may be locked up. When I turn on the switch, it just makes a humming noise. The motor won't turn over nor will the shaft turn. It set for a while without running (about 3 months) and when I went to crank it up, nothing.

I thought of taking the motor out, but I'm not sure how easy that will be. Here are a couple photos of the motor.

Attachments

• Hot tub 3.jpg
    Hot tub 3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Hot tub 2.jpg
    Hot tub 2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 111
Sounds like it could be the capacitor....which is under the back cover and looks like an overszed turn signal flasher in a car....round metal tube with 2 prongs. See if you can get just that out and test it. On second thought, yours could be right behind what looks to be a service panel on top.

woodyp said:
Sounds like it could be the capacitor....which is under the back cover and looks like an overszed turn signal flasher in a car....round metal tube with 2 prongs. See if you can get just that out and test it. On second thought, yours could be right behind what looks to be a service panel on top.

The service panel is the blue door, correct. I think I can open that door. Is that where you're talking about?

maxepr1 said:
If you can't spin the shaft, momma's gonna need a new motor!

That's funny. Would you see about re-building this one or just get a new one? I think a re-build is around $70 to $80 (at least that's what a Hayward re-build cost). I have not done a search yet for a new motor....got any recommendations on where to find motor?

jed

My bad. I didn't realize you had tried to "physically" turn the shaft. Just thought you didn't see it spinning when you tried to fire it up. I'd have it rebuilt if I could for a reasonable price.

The easiest thing to do is remove the whole pump. The bolts at the suction and discharge fittings and the foot bolts. If you remove the bolts you pointed out you're still going to have to unscrew the impeller and that's not going to be easy. Besides your problem might be in the wet end any way and you'll wind up pulling it anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jed, sure you might be able to take the motor to a shop in your area where they can overhaul it for you. But price out a new one first and then call motor shops. In my area they want 75% of the cost of a new motor to overhaul the motor! I ended up temporarily replacing a bearing until I buy a new pump!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.