PoolVac Ultra issues.....

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Been having issues for the last 2 seasons with my PoolVac Ultra (same as Hayward Navigator I think).

It will run good for a while, but eventually just comes to a stop. No ryhme or reason, no obvious issues (nothing stuck in it, etc). I can pull it out of the pool and start over, adn it will run for a little bit and then stop again.

Took it apart to look inside, and everything is clean. I did notice 2 things:

1. If I push down on the feet of the pods, the pods move....ONCE. After that, it feels like the whole thing is locked up (they wont move back with opposite pressure). The bearings seem intact, but a little rough (Im thinking thats because they arent lubed being in a pool and all). Any ideas what would cause this? It definitely doesnt seem correct, I just dont know what parts to buy.

2. I removed the steering mechanism, down to the small white gear that is attached to the inlet hose opening. If I hold down that gear and try to turn the inlet opening, in one direction the inlet doesnt move at all. BUT in the opposite direction, it moves a little and then catches. Almost like its slipping for some reason. Is this a problem during actual use? For some reason I think it might be.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

In case you're not able to diagnose the problem yourself, the local pool stores where I live (NPS and Leslie's) have always fixed my pool cleaner for just the cost of the parts. They even install the new parts for you. Some of the experienced people are amazingly fast and accurate with their diagnosis and repair. I had a Navigator which wouldn't rotate (on the hose) and they had the worn part out and the new one in in just a few minutes and it couldn't have cost me more than $10.

I had a similar problem with my navigator that I just resolved. I looked at those bearings a couple of months ago and they didn't look messed up. I just took it apart again this weekend and lo and behold the bearings were out of the black plastic casing. Does the turbine spin freely when you have it out of the water? Those cost about 15 dollars to replace. I wasn't having any problems with the steering mechanism so I didn't delve too deeply into that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.