Just installed this afternoon

Jan 19, 2012
Richland, PA
Just got finished having water delivered. Still need about 3" fill from garden hose. What now???
Once I have water to approp height, I'll run filter, test water and make adjustments, as well as chlorinate.

Should I put winter cover cover on it/solar cover to prevent water evaporation? In south central pa, so I won't be swimming anytime soon. What would be the best course of action??

Sounds like you are on the right track. Do you have a good test kit? TF-100 is highly recommended here.

Once you post results, we can help you get the water balanced.

As far as the cover, that is up to you. You will likely want the cover off until you get your water balanced. But if you can easily put on and take off a solar cover, that's good.

deweypip said:
Very windy where we are, i'm thinking I'll loose a lot of water if I don't cover. Got to get some strips tonight just to get ballpark #'s.
Gotcha, then yes a cover might be a good idea. As for the strips, they will be okay short-term. But you should order a kit from TFTestkits.net as soon as you can. The shipping is very quick and they will last you a long time!

Added CYA, chlorine, and pH up to get #s to respectable levels using strips. Did not cover, but I did get some CYA ganuales on the bottom. Will this hurt the liner? I ran DE filter for 5-6 hrs but the CYA on liner bottom still hadn't dissolved. I did hang a sock with remainder of CYA to label specs, but only after some had escaped. Is this an issue???

deweypip said:
Added CYA, chlorine, and pH up to get #s to respectable levels using strips. Did not cover, but I did get some CYA ganuales on the bottom. Will this hurt the liner? I ran DE filter for 5-6 hrs but the CYA on liner bottom still hadn't dissolved. I did hang a sock with remainder of CYA to label specs, but only after some had escaped. Is this an issue???
It would be best to vac up the CYA and let it catch in the filter and dissolve there.

If it's going to be a while before you'll be swimming you can either bring it to shock level and cover it with the winter cover and it should be ok upon opening or, you could leave it open with the solar cover on and keep the levels checked & adjusted and run it like it was open. This would give you some exposure to how the pool is going to operate once it's fully swim season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking of doing the shock level and covering for the next several weeks. Cold front pushing thru now. Appears like it will be cool for some time, and having to test and potentially adjust for several weeks, just to look at it doesn't appeal. I would have had it installed later in the year, but I was on the schedule for when I was on. I was afraid to change to later in the year for fear of being bumped in busier times.

Cramar,
Yes it's a Sharkline Matrix 24'. I had the pool professionally installed. The 2 guys never put one of these in before. Both claimed they thought it was a pretty decent pool. One downside was, they claimed, if the liner needs changed. The snap in place top rail covers might be a bugger to remove in order to replace liner. I said do it on a hot 100 F day, when the plactic might be more pliable, and easier to unsnap from top ledge. Did portland/vermiculite base. They started @ 7am, finished up before 1 pm. Everything fit together as expected.

Hi I'm a newbie here and a city boy. I must ask, did a tanker bring in your water? Where do you live? I've never seen that before. I did know a family in Victorville,Ca,that had their own wells and the pool was ALWAYS freezing cold, as the water continuously cycled.

It took 2 tanker trucks to mostly fill the 24x54 pool. At approx 6000-6300 gal per truck load, it still left me a little under full. Topped it off with our well. Well worth it for the $$$. Cheap compared to a possible burned up well pump.
It actually worked out pretty good. They were able to bring in the tanker thru our field, and not messing up our yard. We were a little concerned since it rained and inch+ just a day or two prior to install, but tanker didn't sink nearly at all in the field.
I'm not sure either what you mean by "backfill". No backfill needed on our job. Pool sits pretty much at ground level. We did have the concrete/vermiculite base mix put down before liner install.

deweypip

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.