Another new toy...

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
On monday I found a barely used Yoder Wichita on craigslist in Phoenix, and the guy selling it was willing to drive it all the way down to Tucson for me! It's big, bad, and hopefully the last smoker I'll ever need to buy. I didn't get a steal on it, but I paid a lot less than it costs new and didn't have to pay freight from Kansas. My best guess is that it weighs around 700 lbs...it took about an hour to move it 200' from the garage to the backyard. Can't wait to fire it up over the weekend!

Now that I look at the picture, I need to get it on a level spot on the patio...you never realize how unlevel pavers are till you put something straight across them!

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

Speaking from experience, those things are tanks. Hold their heat well. I didn't need something of that size, so I downsized to a Weber bullet, which also is a fantastic smoker. Sold the Yoder to a fellow smoker who proceeded to use his welding skills to fabricate a bit.

PS - if you feel the need to move it around, I suggest heading over to your local Harbor Freight and picking up some heavy duty pneumatic wheels or casters. Easily changed out. The iron wagon wheels scrape up concrete/patios something fierce.

I'm jealous!

Wish I'd known you and you had that when I was spending half my time in Yuma! I always had a day or two a month to kill waiting on planes in Phoenix, and I'm a smoker expert. I have special skills in disposing of the meat cooked on them. :-D

Yeah, I was already thinking about the wheels; the hard metal made it really difficult to roll over gravel. If I ever have an occasion to move it very far, I'll probably change 'em out for some solid rubber tires. On the plus side, I don't think I need to worry about anyone stealing it :)

John, what's in Yuma for you? Proving grounds? If you're ever in the area again we can set something up...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.