New member, looking for thoughts on my pool

Apr 23, 2012
I have been managing a large pool for the last year or so. In years past they have had issues with the plaster finish breaking down and flaking off. Quite a bit has changed since then, and the plaster was redone a few years before I took over the job. No problems since then, just thought I'd introduce my pool and see what you guys think about my numbers.

Temp - 83
FC - 3
PH - 7.5
TA - 150
CH - 280

It's an indoor pool with Co2 injection, UV, sand filters, and I use sodium hypo to sanitize.

I believe it's the Co2 system that causes the TA to creep up over time. To remedy this I add muriatic acid once every 3 months or so to bring it back down to around 100-120. I will usually do this when it gets in the 150-160 range. To ease up demand on my Co2 and also keep TA more steady I have considered using more acid in combination with the Co2 for PH control, but haven't changed my routine yet.

I also add the Peladow ice melt to raise CH once a year.

Any thoughts? Love the site, been reading a ton. I can't believe I didn't find this place sooner.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Nice numbers. Indoor pools are somewhat unusual for us here but we see some fairly often.

Since you don't post the result my assumption is you do not keep CYA in the pool, is that correct?

I think chem geek may be away from the board for a while but he has a good take on indoor pools and suggests perhaps a 20ppm residual of CYA. Largely because of the buffering qualities it imparts to the chlorine. He has noted that 2-3ppm FC without any CYA is fairly harsh on swimclothes, etc. and that the 20ppm CYA allows you to run even less FC yet it really takes the harshness out of the chlorine. I can't remember the numbers he used verbatim but it is an interesting idea.

duraleigh said:
I think chem geek may be away from the board for a while but he has a good take on indoor pools and suggests perhaps a 20ppm residual of CYA. Largely because of the buffering qualities it imparts to the chlorine. He has noted that 2-3ppm FC without any CYA is fairly harsh on swimclothes, etc. and that the 20ppm CYA allows you to run even less FC yet it really takes the harshness out of the chlorine. I can't remember the numbers he used verbatim but it is an interesting idea.

Very interesting, I had never heard that before. Exactly the kind of ideas I'm looking for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.